Charles Wilkinson (director)
Charles Wilkinson is a Canadian documentary filmmaker and film and television director. He is best known for his "environmental quadrilogy" of documentaries: Peace Out, Oil Sands Karaoke and Haida Gwaii: On the Edge of the World and Vancouver: No Fixed Address. All four films premiered at Hot Docs International Documentary Festival, and have gone on to win awards at Hot Docs, the Vancouver International Film Festival and Yorkton Film Festival. Before moving into documentaries, Wilkinson worked for many years in dramatic television series and on feature films. His directing credits include such TV series as The Highlander, The Immortal, So Weird, Dead Man's Gun, Road to Avonlea and The Beachcombers, the feature films My Kind of Town, Max, Blood Clan and Breach of Trust, and the TV movie Heart of the Storm. As a preteen, he was one of the original performers in the Calgary Safety Roundup, paired with his brother Billy as kid cowboy singers. "We sang both kinds - country and western."
|Occupation||Documentary filmmaker, film director, television director|
- "Charles Wilkinson's Environmental Trilogy". POV Magazine. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- "Winner of Hot Docs 2012 Jury Prize reviewed". DOC BC. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- François Marchand (2015-05-05). "Documentary on Haida Gwaii gets top honour at Hot Docs: North Vancouver filmmaker Charles Wilkinson lands $10,000 prize". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "Golden Sheaf Awards: 2014 Winners & Nominees". Yorkton Film Festival. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "VIFF: Charles Wilkinson's Documentary OIL SANDS KARAOKE". YVR Shoots. 2013-09-10. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "Vancouver: No Fixed Address". 25 April 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- Ian Bailey (2015-10-04). "Filmmaker Charles Wilkinson on creating new doc about Haida Gwaii". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
Filmmaker Charles Wilkinson is happily devoted to documentaries now after a three-decade career with much work in drama, directing such TV series as The Beachcombers and Road To Avonlea and features including Blood Clan with Gordon Pinsent.
- "IMDb: Charles Wilkinson". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- Hawthorn, Tom (2015). "Haida Guy". issuu. Retrieved August 20, 2016.