Charles Hughes Terrot DD FRSE (19 September 1790 – 2 April 1872) was a Scottish Episcopalian minister, theologian and mathematician. He served as Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1857 to 1862.
The Most Reverend
|Bishop of Edinburgh|
Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church
|Church||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Other posts||Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church (1857-1862)|
|Consecration||2 June 1841|
by William Skinner
|Born||19 September 1790|
|Died||2 April 1872 (aged 81)|
|Buried||New Calton Burial Ground|
|Parents||Elias Terrot & Mary Fonteneau|
|Spouse||Sarah Ingram Wood (1815–1855)|
Charlotte Madden (1859-1862)
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Charles Terrot was born on 19 September 1790 at Cuddalore in southern India, the son of Captain Elias Terrot of the Indian Army who was killed at the siege of Bangalore a few weeks after Charles' birth. His mother, Mary Fonteneau, returned to England soon after, and raised Charles in Berwick-upon-Tweed.
In 1813 he served as a Deacon in Bristol before moving to Chester as a priest. He returned to Scotland in 1814 to serve as an Incumbent in Haddington. In 1833 he served in St Pauls in Edinburgh leading to his rise to Dean in 1837 and Bishop in 1841. During this time he lived at 19 Northumberland Street in Edinburgh's New Town.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1840, his proposer being James David Forbes, and served as their vice president from 1844 to 1860. He was also a member of the Architectural Society of Scotland.
From 1856 until 1872 he was assisted in his role as Bishop by his chaplain Charles Richard Teape; Thomas Baker Morrell was his coadjutor-bishop from 1863 until 1869, shortly after Terrot's retirement.
His second wife died before him and is buried separately in Warriston Cemetery.
He married twice, firstly in 1815 to Sarah Ingram Wood (d.1855), secondly, and briefly, in 1859 to Charlotte Madden (d.1862). He had a daughter, Sarah Terrot (d.1901) by his first marriage.
- Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783-2002: Biographical Index (PDF). II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 October 2006. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Terrot, Charles Hughes (TRT807CH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Edinburgh Post Office annual directory, 1832-1833". National Library of Scotland.
- "Account Suspended" (PDF). Royalsoced.org.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 January 2014. Retrieved 29 February 2020.
- Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
Media related to Charles Hughes Terrot at Wikimedia Commons