Charles Molyneux, 1st Earl of Sefton
He was born on 11 October 1748, the son of Thomas and Mary (née Leverly) Molyneux. Thomas died on 3 September 1756, leaving him the heir to the title 8th Viscount Molyneux, which he inherited at the age of 10 on 30 March 1759 following the death of his uncle, William Molyneux, 7th Viscount Molyneux. He married Lady Isabella Stanhope, daughter of William Stanhope, 2nd Earl of Harrington, on 27 November 1768. He conformed to the Church of England on 5 March 1769, for which he was rewarded the title Earl of Sefton on 30 November 1771 with which the viscountcy was merged. He was elected to the House of Commons in 1771 and represented the Lancashire constituency as a Whig until 1774.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Courthope, William, ed. (1838). Debrett's Complete Peerage of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (22nd ed.). London: J. G. & F. Rivington. p. 555.
- Farrer, William; Brownbill, J., eds. (1907). Townships: Sefton. A History of the County of Lancaster. Volume 3. pp. 66–74. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
|volume=has extra text (help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Molyneux, Nellie Zeda Rice (1904). History, genealogical and biographical, of the Molyneux families. Syracuse, New York: C. W. Bardeen. p. 143. OCLC 5174593. Retrieved 11 January 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage : The House of Commons Constituencies Beginning with "L" Archived 19 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 22 January 2010
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Lord Archibald Hamilton and
| Member of Parliament for Lancashire
(with Lord Archibald Hamilton, to 1772;
Sir Thomas Egerton, from 1772)
Sir Thomas Egerton and
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation|| Earl of Sefton
| Viscount Molyneux|