Verna Charlene Stavely
April 28, 1928
|Died||April 5, 1996 (aged 67)|
|Spouse(s)||William A. Tishman (1966-1972) (divorced)|
Holt was born on April 28, 1928, in Snyder, Texas, to Malcolm C. and Verna Vesta Stavely, née Chandler. After she graduated from high school in Hagerman, New Mexico, she attended McMurry University in Abilene, Texas. She was a model in Houston, Texas.
In 1956, Holt was crowned Miss Maryland and in July, 1956 participated in the Miss USA pageant in Long Beach, California where she was a semi-finalist. In August, 1957 she was among nine models sent to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, by Rose Marie Reid Swim Suits of Los Angeles and the Eileen Ford Agency in New York City.
Holt appeared in various TV commercials in 1958 and reportedly signed a $50,000-a-year modeling contract in New York at age 29. She was in a Revlon lipstick commercial, in which she was reportedly spotted by director Howard Hawks who later cast her in several of his films. She was subsequently named "Miss Sweater Girl" in October, 1958 by the Wool Bureau. The contest was held in the Crystal Suite of the Savoy Hilton Hotel in New York.
Holt died on April 5, 1996, in Williamson County, Tennessee. She was 67.
- If a Man Answers (film, Lisa, 1962)
- Target: The Corruptors (TV series, 1962)
- Hawaiian Eye (TV series, Evelyn Mason, 1962)
- Saints and Sinners (TV series, Woman correspondent, 1962)
- Days of Wine and Roses (film, Guest (uncredited), 1962)
- Island of Love (film, minor uncredited role, 1963)
- The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (TV series, 1 episode, "A Nice Touch", Darlene Vance, 1963)
- Burke's Law (TV series, 2 episodes, 1963–1964)
- Man's Favorite Sport? (film, Tex Connors, 1964)
- Arrest and Trial (TV series, Fay Carlson, 1964)
- Perry Mason (TV series, Helen Cadmus, 1965)
- Red Line 7000 (Film, Lindy, 1965)
- Honey West (TV series, Gloria, 1965)
- El Dorado (film, Maudie, 1966)
- The Hero (TV series, Angie, 1966)
- It Takes a Thief (TV series, 3 episodes, 1968)
- Zigzag (film, Sara Raymond, 1970)
- Wonder Woman (TV movie, Hippolyte, 1974)
- Police Story (TV series, 1 episode, "Company Man", 1975)
- CHiPs (TV series, appeared as herself in 1 episode, 1980)
- Melvin and Howard (film, Mrs. Worth, 1980)
- "Charlene Holt - The Private Life and Times of Charlene Holt. Charlene Holt Pictures". Glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Charlene Holt | Biography, Photos, Movies, TV, Credits | Hollywood.com". Archive.is. Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2015-07-23.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Charlene Holt Filmography and Movies". Fandango. 1940-01-01. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Miss Maryland Usa And Miss Maryland Teen Usa". Missmarylandusa.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Charlene Holt (1928–1996)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.