This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Character comedy is a method or genre in which a comedian performs as though they were a character created by the comedian themselves. A good deal of comedians have enjoyed fame from character comedy.
Famous comedians who use character comedyEdit
- Paul Reubens - Plays the manic man-child, Pee-wee Herman.
- Jim Carrey – In many of his films he portrays a hyper-animated maniac.
- Andy Kaufman – Various characters
- Tracey Ullman – Various characters
- George Carlin – Played the character of Al Sleet the "hippy-dippy weatherman" in his stand-up routine.
- Rowan Atkinson – Plays Mr. Bean.
- María Elena Velasco – Played La India María
- Tim Allen – Plays a "handyman" in Home Improvement and his stand up routines.
- Sacha Baron Cohen - Plays Ali G, Borat Sagdiyev, and Brüno in Da Ali G Show and the subsequent film follow-ups: Ali G Indahouse, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, and Brüno. He tends to avoid making public appearances or doing interviews out of character.
- Andrew Dice Clay - Has played the 'Diceman' character for most of his stand-up career.
- Stephen Colbert - performed a fictional version of himself when he was a correspondent on The Daily Show and when he hosted The Colbert Report
- Steve Coogan famously created several characters in his act spinning one of them, Alan Partridge into TV shows
- Sam Lloyd - Various Characters
- Jerrod Guillory - Uncle Dutt, T-Blue, Skillet and various others
- Sarah Silverman - Early stand-up performances showcase a dim-witted, naïve persona who treads insensitively through controversial topics.
- Jane Turner and Gina Riley - various characters including Kath Day-Knight and Kim Craig from Kath & Kim. They rarely make public appearances out of character.
- Maria Bamford
- Dom Irrera
- Leigh Francis - Most famous for the portrayal of Keith Lemon
- Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson perform live stand-up as the characters on their Comedy Central series Broad City.
- Colleen Ballinger - plays the talentless and cocky Miranda Sings
- Chris Lilley - played Ja'mie King, Mr G and Jonah Takalua on the Australian miniseries Summer Heights High
- Anders Matthesen - various alter egos and stereotypical characters. Some starred in the 2004 animated musical dark comedy horror film Terkel in Trouble