Chanokh Heynekh HaKohen Levin
Chanokh Heynekh HaKohen Levin (1798 – 21 March 1870) of Aleksander served as the rebbe of a community of thousands of Hasidim during the "interregnum" between the Chidushei HaRim of Ger and the Sfas Emes.
Chanokh Heynekh HaKohen Levin
|Title||Rebbe Reb Heynekh of Aleksander|
Chanokh Heynekh Lewin
|Died||21 March 1870 (aged 71–72)|
|Spouse||Chana Hentshe Feyge Pachter of Przysucha, Chaia Basia (daughter of Rabbi Yehoshua Usher Rabinowicz of Parysow d. Przasnysz, 27 Feb 1864)|
|Predecessor||Yitzchak Meir Alter|
|Successor||Yehudah Aryeh Leib Alter|
|Ended||21 March 1870|
|Main work||Chashovoh leToivo|
Levin was one of the leading students of the Rebbe Reb Simcha Bunim of Peshischa. After the latter's death he became one of the most prominent followers of Rebbe Menachem Mendel of Kotzk and the senior disciple of Chidushei haRim. Following the death of the Chidushei haRim in 1866, the bulk of his numerous chasidim chose Rabbi Chanokh Heynekh as the next rebbe.
Levin served as the Rabbi in the Jewish communities of Aleksander from approximately 1837 until 1853, Nowy Dwór from 1853 through 1859, and Przasnysz from 1859 until 1864 (or 1866). After his tenure in Przasnysz he retired from the rabbinate and settled in Aleksander, where he lived during his period of leadership as rebbe.
Rebbes of GerEdit
- The State Archive of Warszawa Record Pultusk Branch Archived August 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine: "Jewish Civil Registry of Przasnysz ", 1864, Akt #: 9, registration Date: Feb 28, 1864, Location: Przasnysz, Death Date: Feb 27, 1864, Surname: Lewin, Given Name: Chaia Basia, Maiden Name: Rabinowicz, age 46, Father: Uszer, Mother: Laja, Husband: Henoch Lewin, Rabin (Rabbi) and daughter Elka Hudes Walberg.
- The State Archive in Lodz /Archiwum Państwowe w Łodzi: "Jewish Civil Registry of Aleksandrow Lodzki", 1870, death (akt) #10, age 76, marital status widower, date March 21.
- Menashe Shif, צדיקי עולם Everlasting Saints pp. 27-35, Ashdod (2004).
- Yartzeits in Shvat Archived October 4, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Yehuda Leyb Levin (1980). בית קוצק Bais Kotsk (The House of Kotsk). Jerusalem, Israel: Rim Levin Institute. OCLC 24068091.
- Aryeh Smari; Dov Berish First (1965). Pinkas Nowy Dwor Mazowiecki (Yizkor Book). Tel Aviv: Former Residents of Nowy-Dwor in Israel, USA, Argentina. pp. 36–37. OCLC 123248186.
- Shlomo Bachrach (1974). Sefer zikaron kehilat Proshnits (Yizkor Book). Tel Aviv: Proshnitz Society. pp. 128–130. OCLC 40705034.
- Chanoch Henoch Hakohen Levine (1929). Chashava Letova חשבה לטובה. Piotrków Trybunalski, Poland: A. Levine and N. Alter. OCLC 122775698.
- Chasidic insights.
- Chasidic insights Archived September 26, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Rav-SIG Index of names
- Yehuda Leyb, Geza Pe-eir (includes biographical notes on Chanokh Heynekh)
- Prushnits Yizkor Book
Yitzchak Meir Alter
| Gerrer Rebbe
Yehudah Aryeh Leib Alter
|This Hasidic Judaism article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Polish religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|