PGA Tour Champions awards
Listed below are recipients of awards for various achievements on PGA Tour Champions, a circuit operated by the U.S.-based PGA Tour for men's golfers aged 50 and over. The tour began in 1980 as the Senior PGA Tour, changed its name to the Champions Tour in 2003, and became PGA Tour Champions in 2016.
Three PGA Tour Champions year-end awards are elected by the players and announced in December. The ceremony is held at a tournament early in the following season. The Jack Nicklaus Trophy is for the player of the year. The other two are the Rookie of the Year and Comeback Player of the Year awards.
The Arnold Palmer Award is given to the player who earns the most PGA Tour Champions money in a season. The Byron Nelson Award goes to the player who has the lowest scoring average (strokes per round).
Charles Schwab CupEdit
From 2001 through 2015, points were earned for thousands of dollars earned in top-ten finishes at tournaments. From 2008 to 2015, points were doubled at majors and the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
Since 2016, the Charles Schwab Cup has used a playoff format similar to the FedEx Cup playoffs on the regular PGA Tour, though with three total events instead of four on the regular tour. Changes to the format are:
- During the regular season, points are based on dollars earned, regardless of the player's finish in a given tournament. No bonus is awarded for wins in majors.
- The top 72 players on the money list will qualify for the first playoff event. Additionally, a "wild card" playoff berth will be awarded to a golfer who finishes in the top 10 of the last regular-season event, the SAS Championship, and is not within the top 72 after the tournament. (If more than one player outside the top 72 finishes in the top 10 at the SAS Championship, the highest finisher among these players will qualify.)
- During the first two playoff events, points are earned as in the regular season, except the winner earns double points. The playoff field is cut to 54 after the first playoff event and 36 after the second, with the survivors advancing to the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
- Prior to the Charles Schwab Cup Championship, the points totals are reset. All 36 qualifiers will have a theoretical chance to win the Charles Schwab Cup, and each golfer in the top five can win the Charles Schwab Cup by winning the final event, no matter how the rest of the field performs.
The top five win annuities. Annuities involved in ties are divided amongst the tied players.
Players of the MonthEdit
Three members of the media form a panel which determines the recipients. The winners receive a medal.
|February||Mike Hill||J. C. Snead||Hale Irwin||David Graham||Larry Nelson||Bruce Fleisher|
|March||Jay Sigel||Jim Albus||Walter Morgan||David Graham||Lee Trevino||Gary McCord|
|April||Raymond Floyd||Raymond Floyd||Hale Irwin||Hale Irwin||Hale Irwin||Allen Doyle|
|May||Lee Trevino||Isao Aoki||Isao Aoki||Jay Sigel||Jay Sigel||Hale Irwin|
|June||Dave Stockton||Bob Murphy||Isao Aoki||Graham Marsh||John Jacobs||Bruce Fleisher|
|July||Jim Colbert||Tom Weiskopf||Dave Stockton||Larry Gilbert||Hale Irwin||Hale Irwin|
|August||Dave Stockton||Bob Murphy||Graham Marsh||Hugh Baiocchi||Hale Irwin||Hale Irwin|
|September||Isao Aoki||Walter Morgan||Mike Hill||David Graham||Hugh Baiocchi||Gil Morgan|
|October||Bob Murphy||Lee Trevino||Jim Colbert||Hale Irwin||Dana Quigley||Bruce Fleisher|
|November||n/a||n/a||Jay Sigel||Gil Morgan||Hale Irwin||Gary McCord|
|February||Bruce Fleisher||Gil Morgan||Hale Irwin||Dave Barr||Fuzzy Zoeller|
|March||Gil Morgan||José Maria Cañizares||Dana Quigley||David Eger||Tom Purtzer|
|April||Larry Nelson||Doug Tewell||Jim Thorpe||Bob Gilder||Gil Morgan|
|May||Larry Nelson||Tom Watson||Sammy Rachels||Hale Irwin||D. A. Weibring|
|June||Hale Irwin||Tom Kite||Don Pooley||Bruce Lietzke||Allen Doyle|
|July||Raymond Floyd||Allen Doyle||Bob Gilder|| Craig Stadler
|August||Ed Dougherty||Walter Hall||Hale Irwin||Jim Thorpe||Craig Stadler|
|September||Larry Nelson||Jim Thorpe||Bob Gilder||Larry Nelson||Craig Stadler|
|October||Jim Thorpe||Bob Gilder||Tom Watson||Jim Thorpe||Mark McNulty|
|Jan./Feb.||Hale Irwin||Loren Roberts||Loren Roberts||Scott Hoch||Bernhard Langer|
|March||Mark James||Morris Hatalsky||Tom Purtzer||Bernhard Langer||Joey Sindelar|
|April||Jim Thorpe||Jay Haas||Jay Haas||Tom Watson||Nick Price|
|May||Mike Reid||Brad Bryant||Denis Watson||Jay Haas||Mark McNulty|
|June||D. A. Weibring||Gil Morgan||Jay Haas||Loren Roberts||Bernhard Langer|
|July||Tom Watson||Loren Roberts||Tom Watson||Bruce Vaughan||Fred Funk|
|August||Loren Roberts||Tom Kite||D. A. Weibring||Fred Funk||Loren Roberts|
|September||Hale Irwin||Bob Gilder||Gil Morgan||Tom Kite||Jeff Sluman|
|October||Jay Haas||Jim Thorpe||Loren Roberts||D. A. Weibring||John Cook|
|Jan./Feb.||Fred Couples||Tom Lehman||Corey Pavin||Bernhard Langer||Bernhard Langer|
|March||Fred Couples||Nick Price||Fred Couples||David Frost||Jeff Maggert|
|April||Mark O'Meara||Michael Allen||Miguel Ángel Jiménez|
|May||Tom Lehman||Tom Watson||Roger Chapman||Kōki Idoki||Colin Montgomerie|
|June||Nick Price||Mark Wiebe||Tom Lehman||Kenny Perry||Jeff Sluman|
|July||Bernhard Langer||Russ Cochran||Fred Couples||Kenny Perry||Bernhard Langer|
|August||Mark Calcavecchia||Willie Wood||Bart Bryant||Kevin Sutherland|
|September||Russ Cochran||Jay Don Blake||Willie Wood||Kirk Triplett||Wes Short, Jr.|
|October||Bernhard Langer||Jay Haas|
- "Bernhard Langer named PGA TOUR Champions Player of the Year for eighth time". www.pgatour.com. 16 January 2019.
- "Champions Tour announces 2016 schedule and format for inaugural Charles Schwab Cup Playoffs" (Press release). PGA Tour. November 11, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2016.