Kuhl with the Pittsburgh Pirates
|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 39|
|Born: September 10, 1992|
|June 26, 2016, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||4.37|
High school and collegeEdit
Kuhl attended Middletown High School in Middletown, Delaware, where he pitched and played first base for the school's baseball team. He was named to the All-Delaware team in 2010. He then enrolled at University of Delaware, where he continued his baseball career.
After signing, he made his professional debut with the Jamestown Jammers and spent all of 2013 there, going 3-4 with a 2.11 ERA in 13 starts. Kuhl pitched 2014 with the Bradenton Marauders, compiling a 13-5 record and 3.46 ERA in 28 starts, and 2015 with the Altoona Curve where he was 11-5 with a 2.48 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 26 starts. He began 2016 with the Indianapolis Indians.
Kuhl was recalled from Indianapolis on June 26, 2016, made his major league debut, and got his first win that same night as the Pirates defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 4–3. Kuhl pitched five innings, allowing three runs, four hits, and four walks with five strikeouts in his debut. He was optioned to Indianapolis on July 16 and recalled on August 9. After his August 9 recall, he spent the remainder of the season with Pittsburgh. In 14 starts for the Pirates he was 5-4 with a 4.20 ERA, and in 16 starts for Indianapolis he pitched to a 6-3 record and 2.37 ERA.
Kuhl spent all of the 2017 season in the Pirates starting rotation. Kuhl started 31 games, posting an 8-11 record with an ERA of 4.35. On June 30, 2018, Kuhl was placed on the disabled list with a right forearm strain. He was ruled out for the season at the beginning of September. In 16 starts, he was 5-5 with an ERA of 4.55 in 85 innings. On September 19, Kuhl underwent Tommy John surgery and is expected to miss the entire 2019 season.
- "All State Teams - DelawareBCA". sites.google.com.
- "Kuhl making mark with New Market". NVDaily.com. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "University of Delaware Pitcher Chad Kuhl Selected in 9th Round of MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates – BlueHens.com – UD Athletics". www.bluehens.com. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Chad Kuhl breezes through seven innings for Altoona Curve – MiLB.com News – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- Biertempful, Rob (2016-06-26). "Kuhl wins major league debut as Pirates edge Kershaw, Dodgers". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Chad Kuhl Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.