The Central Columbia School District is a small, rural, public school district that serves the Borough of Orangeville and Mifflin Township, Mount Pleasant Township, North Centre Township, Orange Township, Scott Township and South Centre Township in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. The district is one of the 500 public school districts of Pennsylvania. Central Columbia School District encompasses approximately 77 square miles (200 km2). According to 2000 federal census data, the district served a resident population of 14,107. By 2010, the district's population increased to 14,833 people. The educational attainment levels for the Central Columbia School District population (25 years old and over) were 89.9% high school graduates and 23% college graduates.
|Central Columbia School District|
4777 Old Berwick Road
Bloomsburg, Columbia County, Pennsylvania, 17815-3515
|Students and staff|
|District mascot||Fighting Bluejay|
|Colors||Blue and silver|
According to the Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center, 28.6% of the Central Columbia School District's pupils lived at 185% or below the Federal Poverty level as shown by their eligibility for the federal free or reduced price school meal programs in 2012. In 2009, the district residents' per capita income was $20,989, while the median family income was $47,805. In the Commonwealth, the median family income was $49,501 and the United States median family income was $49,445, in 2010. By 2013, the median household income in the United States rose to $52,100.
Central Columbia School District operates three schools: Central Columbia High School (9th–12th), Central Columbia Middle School (5th–8th) and Central Columbia Elementary School (K–4th). Central Columbia High School students may choose to attend Columbia-Montour Area Vocational-Technical School which provides training in the trades. The Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit IU16 provides the district with a wide variety of services like specialized education for disabled students and hearing, speech and visual disability services and professional development for staff and faculty.
Central Columbia High School offers many extracurricular activities to its students. It has many clubs, including foreign language clubs, band, chorus, and community service clubs. Students may participate in a variety of athletic teams throughout the school year. The district is a member of the Pennsylvania Heartland Athletic Conference for all athletics and participates under the rules and guidelines of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association.
The school's mascot is a Blue Jay. The official colors for the school are red, white, and blue; however red has been substituted across the board by silver/grey, such as the football team's helmets, which are a silver.
- Middle School Sports
According to PIAA directory July 2015
- US Census Bureau, 2010 Census Poverty Data by Local Educational Agency, 2011
- proximityone (2014). "School District Comparative Analysis Profiles".
- Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center, Education Facts Student Poverty Concentration by LEA, 2012
- American Fact Finder, US Census Bureau, 2010
- US Census Bureau (2010). "American Fact Finder, State and County quick facts". Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- US Census Bureau (September 2011). "Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010" (PDF).
- Michael Sauter and Alexander E.M. Hess (August 31, 2013). "America's most popular six-figure jobs". USA Today.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "Disclosure of Interscholastic Athletic Opportunities".
- Central Columbia School Board, Central Columbia School District Budget 2013-14, 2013
- Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletics Association (2015). "PIAA School Directory".