|Merged into||Project on Government Oversight|
|Founder||Adm. Gene La Rocque, Adm. Eugene Carroll|
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
In 2005, the Center for Defense Information expanded by creating the Straus Military Reform Project  for the purpose of promoting military reform in the Pentagon and Congress. Winslow T. Wheeler, a former Capitol Hill staffer and General Accounting Office assistant director, directs the Straus Military Reform Project at CDI. The Project was launched by a matching grant from Philip A. Straus Jr. Straus and his family have long supported activities at CDI and continue to be major supporters of the Project's endeavors. In May 2012, CDI joined the Project on Government Oversight.
After the 2008 United States elections, CDI released America’s Defense Meltdown: Pentagon Reform for President Obama and the New Congress, a collection of briefing papers by a dozen defense intellectuals and retired military officers. In 2010, CDI released a second anthology, The Pentagon Labyrinth: 10 Short Essays to Help You through It. Since the mid-2000s, CDI has focused on the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II as what it says is the embodiment of the Pentagon's acquisition problems—being both unaffordable and a huge disappointment in performance.
Formerly, CDI operated under the umbrella of the World Security Institute. In 2012, the World Security Institute closed, and CDI merged with the Project On Government Oversight (POGO). In addition, POGO continued the publication of The Defense Monitor.
- "Board & Staff". Center for Defense Information. Retrieved March 15, 2020.
- "Center for Defense Information". The International Relations and Security Network.
- "About the Straus Military Reform Project and the Center for Defense Information". Project On Government Oversight. Archived from the original on 2014-05-18. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Annual Report 2012: Uncover Something Big. Project On Government Oversight. pp. 8–9.
- "CDI Joins POGO". pogo.org.
- The Pentagon Labyrinth: 10 Short Essays to Help You Through It. Project On Government Oversight.
- "World Security Institute". isn.ethz.chThe International Relations and Security Network.
- "CDI Joins POGO". Project On Government Oversight.
- "Defense Monitor". pogo.org.