Celorico de Basto
Celorico de Basto (Portuguese: [sɨloˈɾiku ðɨ ˈβaʃtu] (listen)) is a municipality in Braga District in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 20,098, in an area of 181.07 km². The town of Celorico de Basto has around 2500 inhabitants. The municipality is located bordering the municipality of Cabeceiras de Basto to the north, Mondim de Basto to the east, Amarante to the south, Felgueiras to the southeast and Fafe to the west.
Celorico de Basto
|Intermunic. comm.||Tâmega e Sousa|
|• President||Joaquim Mota e Silva (PSD)|
|• Total||181.07 km2 (69.91 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (290/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC±00:00 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+01:00 (WEST)|
The present mayor is Joaquim Mota Silva, elected by the Social Democratic Party. The municipal holiday is July 25.
- Borba de Montanha
- Britelo, Gémeos e Ourilhe
- Caçarilhe e Infesta
- Canedo de e Corgo
- Carvalho e Basto (Santa Tecla)
- Moreira do Castelo
- São Clemente de Basto
- Vale de Bouro
- Veade, Gagos e Molares
The municipality of Celorico de Basto has a vast historical and architectural, civil, and religious heritage and a great diversity of places of tourist interest to visit. From its diversification of tradition, the Castle of Arnoia, the Monastery of Arnoia, as well as the Romanesque churches of Veade, Fervença, and Ribas are highlighted.
Stand out from among the various monuments and places to visit:
- Arnoia Castle, the only Castle on the Romanesque Route, located in the village of Basto;
- Monastery of São Bento de Arnoia, Benedictine monastery;
- Natural Trail of Tâmega;
- Church of the Savior of Fervença, part of the Route of the Romanesque;
- Church of Salvador de Ribas, part of the Route of the Romanesque;
- Church of Santa Maria de Veade, part of the Route of the Romanesque;
- Estela of Vila Boa;
- Municipal Library of Celorico de Basto Prof. Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa;
- Freixieiro Ludic Park;
- Quinta do Prado, with its house and gardens.
Celorico de Basto is twinned with:
- Statistics Portugal
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística
- "Áreas das freguesias, concelhos, distritos e país". Archived from the original on 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Diário da República. "Law nr. 11-A/2013, page 552 30" (pdf) (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- "Bienvenue au Comité de Jumelage de Houilles". Comité de Jumelage de Houilles (in French). Retrieved 2013-07-16.