Celilo Converter Station
The Celilo Converter Station, built in 1970 and owned and operated by the Bonneville Power Administration, is the northern terminus of the Pacific DC Intertie, near The Dalles, Oregon, in the United States.
The Celilo Converter Station was originally configured with six groups of six-pulse mercury arc valves with a blocking voltage of 133 kV each (for a total of ±400 kV) and a maximum current of 2,000 amperes.
Until September 2001, the Celilo Converter Station was partially open to the public and included displays describing the history of DC transmission and the Pacific Intertie, but security concerns have closed this facility to the public.
In 2004, the mercury arc valves groups were replaced with light-triggered thyristor groups to eliminate the environmental risks of mercury and to reduce the maintenance costs of the obsolete mercury arc valves.
In January 2016, the new Celilo Converter Station went into service after replacing the entire terminal with a new two-converter terminal rated +/- 560kV 3410A (3800MW), while the Oregon-part of the transmission line was upgraded to +/-520kV and 3,220MW.
There was also a DC test facility for testing high voltage equipment nearby (now abandoned, soon to be demolished). At the end of the 1960s, a test transmission line for 1,333 kV was erected at to test equipment for this voltage, which was intended for a planned HVDC from Celilo Converter Station to Hoover Dam. This line was never built.
- "Celilo Modernization Project" (PDF). Bonneville Power Administration. 2003-04-15. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "Tour of Celilo DC Substation and the Dalles Dam". IEEE. Archived from the original on 2006-01-16. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "BPA: Celilo converter station will be operational in January 2016 (needs login, unless when reached from google search on Celilo Converter Station Upgrade)". www.transmissionhub.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Presentation by BPA about the Celilo 2015 upgrade" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-23.
- Picture of 1333 kV line
- 2005 fact sheet http://www.bpa.gov/news/pubs/FactSheets/fs200510-Celilo%20Converter%20Station.pdf
- "BPA puts modernized Celilo Converter Station into service"