Casablanca American School

Casablanca American School is a coeducational, nursery through grade twelve private prep school in Casablanca, Morocco. It is located in the Californie suburbs.

Casablanca American School
Address
Map
Route de la Mecque, Lotissement Ougoug, Quartier Californie

Californie, 20150, Casablanca

Information
School typeInternational Baccalaureate School Private, Non-Profit
Established1973
DirectorJohn Randolph
PrincipalDerek Harwell (upper school)
Elizabeth Phillips (lower school)
GradesNursery-12
GenderCoeducational
Classes offeredInternational Baccalaureate Courses (HL & SL): English, Economics, Business, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Art, History, Environmental Science, Mathematics (AA and AI), French (A and B), Arabic, and Spanish.
LanguageEnglish
Color(s)    Red, Black, White
AthleticsBasketball, Football, Badminton, Volleyball, Swimming and Track & Field. (for Middle School, Junior Varsity, and Varsity Levels)
MascotThe 'CAS' Cobra
NicknameThe Cobras
AccreditationNew England Association of Schools and Colleges
Websitecas.ac.ma

History

edit

The school was founded in 1973 [1] and was the first school in North Africa to offer the International Baccalaureate programme.[citation needed]

Casablanca American School is a member of the Mediterranean Association of Independent Schools,[citation needed] the European Council of International Schools,[citation needed] and is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.[2] Casablanca American School is supported by the Office of Overseas Schools of the U.S. Department of State.[3]

Academics

edit

Casablanca American School has offered the International Baccalaureate curriculum since 1986.[4] Currently, students in grades 11 and 12 can take Higher Level and Standard Level courses in Chemistry, Economics, English A (Language and Literature), History, Math Studies, Mathematics, Physics, Theatre, Visual Arts, Biology, Business Management, French B, French A (Language and Literature), Arabic B, Spanish A, Spanish B, Computer Science. All students complete an Extended Essay and a Theory of Knowledge course, as per International Baccalaureate requirements.

All classes except language classes are taught in English. Students typically graduate with the goal of attending American, British, or European universities. It is currently ranked 23rd best school in Africa and Best School of Morocco by the African Association of Education.

Student life

edit

The student body is approximately 90% Moroccan, with the remaining 10% representing a number of different nations. Most students are bilingual and many are trilingual (fluent in English, French, and Arabic).

The students of the school have participated in annual Model United Nations and Harvard Model Congress Europe conferences in several countries.[citation needed] The school also has organized a chapter of the National Honor Society. Many activities are organized through the National Honor Society chapter.

The school offers athletics, such as basketball, football, badminton, volleyball, baseball, swimming, track, and activities depending on grade levels.

In recent years, the school has developed its performing arts extracurricular offerings. It has hosted a student-run Shakespeare festival and several full-length musicals and even talent shows.

References

edit
  1. ^ Cas.ac.ma
  2. ^ NEASC CAISA Directory Archived June 3, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
  3. ^ "American Schools in Morocco | Morocco - Embassy of the United States". morocco.usembassy.gov. Archived from the original on 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
  4. ^ "Casablanca American School". Retrieved 2016-09-29.

33°32′13″N 7°37′45″W / 33.5369°N 7.6293°W / 33.5369; -7.6293