A c. 1965 Carol Day daily comic strip panel by David Wright (strip #2795), © Patrick Wright. Carol and a beau are shown.
|Author(s)||David Wright and Peter Meriton|
|Launch date||September 10, 1956|
|End date||May 25, 1967|
|Syndicate(s)||The Daily Mail.|
|Genre(s)||Drama comics, Romance comics|
History and conceptEdit
Carol Day was published in The Daily Mail and syndicated in around 70 newspapers around the world. It featured the every-day adventures of a young blonde model, Carol Day. She had a wealthy uncle in the Caribbean, Marcus, who serves as her guardian and help. David Wright drew the stories, while Peter Meriton provided the scripts.
- Carol Day: A young female model.
- Marcus Axel: Carol's uncle and guardian. He collects African art.
- Richard Axel: Carol's uncle, who owns the Caribbean island Gabriela.
- Cousin Hugo: Carol's cousin who is the black sheep of the family. He is an associate of con-man Vernon Flowers and always begs for money when he is at Carol's place.
- Michael Fletcher: A photographer and first fiancé of Carol.
- Joe Wilson: Australian photographer and Carol's second fiancé.
- Charles Logan: A friend of Carol whom she fancies.
- Mark Lovell: A jazz musician. Brother of Nora Lovell.
- Nora Lovell: Carol's schoolmate and early roommate in London. Sister of Mark Lovell.
- Max Kessell: Mark Lovell's roommate and fellow musician.
- Adam Boone: A friend of Carol who is a reclusive sculptor.
- Clive Ellis: An artist and friend of Carol.
- Jack Slingsby: An artist and friend of Carol.
- Angela Logan: A friend of Carol who is a model.
- Baines: Butler of Marcus Axel. Carol often takes him in confidence.
- Humphrey Patcham
- Oswald Patcham: Son of Humphrey Patcham, who develops a crush on Carol.
- Vernon Flowers: A con-man and a criminal who is a bad influence on Carol's cousin Hugo.
- Arnold Tracy: An older man who tries to make Carol love him.
- Reverend William Evans: A vicar in Marcus Axel's village.
- Commander Black: A retired commander and good friend of Uncle Marcus. He is the father of Edward Black.
- Edward Black: Son of Commander Black. He is a spoiled man.
- Captain Riker: Friend of the Patcham who keeps over Oswald.
- Paul Egan: Head of a fashion house and Carol's main employer.
- June Egan: Wife of Paul Egan.
- Jennifer Egan: Daughter of Paul Egan.
- Gillian Vane: Assistant of Paul Egan
- Henry Dietz: Owns a small Caribbean island.
- Ian Carr: Sent down from Oxford in disgrace, stays with his mother Anne.
- Peter Castle: Playwright and friend of Paul Egan.
- Tim Privett: Friend of Uncle Richard.
- Doctor Gomez: A black doctor who lives on the Caribbean island Gabriela.
- Sarah: Uncle Richard's black housekeeper.
- Joe Wilson
- Simon Ware: An assistant of Joe Wilson who suffers from mental problems. He develops an obsession with Carol.