Carlos Chanfon Olmos
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Carlos Chanfón Olmos (May 22, 1928 – February 27, 2002) was a Mexican architect and professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM), known for his research and publications of various topics in the field of architecture under the UNAM imprint. He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Colima in 2001.
He studied architecture in UNAM, where he eventually became a teacher and researcher at the faculty. As a researcher he published diverse works of international academic acknowledgement regarding themes such as the golden ratio, Villard de Honnecourt (the 13th-century artist from Picardy), and the history of architecture.
Among the works he published are Arquitectura del Siglo XVI: Temas Escogidos, Historia de la Arquitectura y Urbanismos Mexicanos, Wilars de Honecort, su Manuscrito, and Curso sobre Proporción, which was originally created as teaching material for an academic course he gave at the Autonomous University of Yucatán (Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán, UADY) along with Dr. Pablo Chico Ponce de León.
Curso sobre Proporciòn focuses on the diverse systems of proportions that have been used in architecture throughout history. He uses diverse graphic analysis done by other authors, such as Frederik Macody Lund, Jay Hambidge and José Villagrán García, but makes several of his own proposals.
- garritz, amaya larrucea. "Carlos Chanfon Olmos" (PDF). www.analesiie.unam.mx (in Spanish). Anales del Instituto de Investigaciones Estética. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 July 2007. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- CHANFÓN OLMOS, Carlos, Arquitectura del Siglo XVI: Temas Escogidos, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- CHANFÓN OLMOS, Carlos, Historia de la Arquitectura y Urbanismos Mexicanos, Fondo de Cultura Economica de España, S.L.
- CHANFÓN OLMOS, Carlos, Wilars de Honecort, su Manuscrito, Colección Mexicana de Tratadistas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, 1994. (Check this site for more information Archived October 6, 2008, at the Wayback Machine)
- CHANFÓN OLMOS, Carlos, Curso sobre Proporción. Procedimientos Reguladores en Construcción, Convenio de intercambio UNAM–UADY, México - Mérica, 1991