He oversaw many projects, including:
- the draining of the Koo-Wee-Rup swamp
- widening and improvement of the Yarra River upstream from Princes Bridge, Alexandra Avenue and the laying out and planting of the Alexandra Gardens
- roads to Arthurs Seat and to Mount Donna Buang
- the Elwood Canal
- Murray River levees (Strathmerton district)
- Lake Catani on Mount Buffalo
- reclamation and the layout of the St Kilda foreshore.
- McNicholl, Ronald (1979). "Catani, Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico (1852–1918)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: Australian National University. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Elwood Canal Precinct (PDF), 2004, retrieved 25 August 2011
- Italian Delegation to Honour Carlo Catani, Designer of the St Kilda Foreshore, 21 November 2001, archived from the original on 28 September 2007, retrieved 25 August 2011