Carlo Allioni (23 September 1728 in Turin – 30 July 1804 in Turin) was an Italian physician and professor of botany at the University of Turin. His most important work was Flora Pedemontana, sive enumeratio methodica stirpium indigenarum Pedemontii 1755, a study of the plant world in Piedmont, in which he listed 2813 species of plants, of which 237 were previously unknown. In 1766, he published the Manipulus Insectorum Tauriniensium.
He was appointed extraordinary professor of botany at the University of Turin in 1760 and was also the director of the Turin Botanical Garden. The journal Allionia: bollettino dell' istituto ed orto botanico dell' università di Torino is named after him.
First Pehr Löfling and then Linnaeus named the New World herb genus Allionia (Nyctaginaceae) after Allioni. Per Axel Rydberg named the genus Allioniella (now Mirabilis), after him. Also named after him are:
- Flora Pedemontana, sive, Enumeratio methodica stirpium indigenarum Pedemontii (1755)
- Auctarium ad floram Pedemontanam cum notis et emendationibus (1789)
- Stirpium praecipuarum littoris et agri Nicaeensis Enumeratio methodica cum Elencho aliquot anirnalium ejusdem maris (1757)
- Bailey, L. H.; Miller, Wilhelm; et al. (1900). "Abbreviations". Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation of Horticultural Plants, Descriptions of the Species of Fruits, Vegetables, Flowers and Ornamental Plants Sold in the United States and Canada, Together with Geographical and Biographical Sketches In Four Volumes. v.1 A-D. The Macmillan Company. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 5 December 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Stafleu, F.A.; Cowan, R.S. (1976–1988). Taxonomic literature: A selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types. Second Edition. Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema and Holkema; Available online through Smithsonian Institution Libraries. pp. 34–36.
- "Tropicos.org". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- IPNI. All.
- Mattirolo, Oreste (1904). Note bibliographiche Allioniane e Nomenclator Allionianus, pubblicati in Occasione Della Ricorrenza Centenaria Della Morte Di Carlo Allioni 1804 - 1904. Tipografia di A. Ciminago. p. 82 pages. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- Allioni, Carlo (1785). "Flora pedemontana". Digital old books. SICD Universities of Strasbourg. Archived from the original on 2008-04-03. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Author Details". International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
|This biography related to medicine in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Italian botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|