Captrain España is a subsidiary of SNCF, created in 2002 to provide comprehensive logistics services, rail freight, and passenger services. It was founded as COMSA Rail Transport and rebranded as Captrain España in 2018.

Captrain España
IndustryRail transport
ServicesRail freight, locomotive hire
Revenue€19million (2009)[2]
Number of employees
~240 (2009)[2]
ParentRail Logistics Europe (SNCF)



COMSA Rail Transport was founded in 2002 by COMSA to provide rail services, including freight, passenger and construction trains, locomotive hire for rail construction and other related services including sidings and terminals.[1][3]

In September 2005 COMSA became the first private rail company to obtain a license to operate on the Spanish railway network,[3] in 2007 a safety certificate for operations was obtained and the company began operating freight trains in 2007.[1] The company became part of the COMSA EMTE group on the merger in July 2009 of Grupo COMSA and Emte SA.[4]

In 2009 the company operated over 1000 freight trains, including 375 automotive part trains for SEAT in Martorell, and coal trains from sea ports to a power plant in Ponferrada, as well as supply locomotives for the construction of the Madrid–Levante high-speed rail line.[2]

In 2013 SNCF Logistics purchased a 25% share in COMSA Rail Transport.[5][6][7] In July 2018, SNCF Logistics purchased the remaining 75% with the business to be rebranded Captrain España.[8]

International cooperation

Locomotive 335-001 of COMSA Rail Transport marked European Bulls
  • 2005: Founding member of the (now defunct) European Bulls International Railfreight Alliance[1]
  • 2006: fer Polska Joint venture with Rail4Chem[9]
  • 2009: In association with Portuguese rail company Takargo Rail a joint venture Ibercargo Rail operates services between Spain and Portugal.[10][11]
  • 2013: SNCF-Geodis and COMSA Rail Transport sign a cooperation agreement on developing rail freight between Iberia, France, and Central Europe.[5][6]

Rolling stock


As of 2009 the company operates three Class 335 Euro 4000, two Class 317 G1700 and two Class 312 MZ III locomotives (ex-DSB MZ[note 1]) diesel locomotives, and 18 Electroputere LDE2100 diesel locomotives.[2] Three Class 253 TRAXX DC locomotives were also delivery in October 2009.[2][13]


  1. ^ Numbers 312-301 and 312-302,[citation needed] formerly DSB MZ 1436 and DSB MZ 1442[12]


  1. ^ a b c d "European Bulls - Rail Freight Alliance :COMSA rail transport". Archived from the original on 21 November 2008.
  2. ^ a b c d e "Annual Report 2009" (PDF). COMSA EMTE. pp. 115–.[permanent dead link]
  3. ^ a b "COMSA Rail Transport" (PDF). (in Spanish). p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
  4. ^ "Press Kit COMSA EMTE" (PDF). (Press release). COMSA EMTE.[permanent dead link]
  5. ^ a b "Los Ferrocarriles Franceses entran en el accionariado de Comsa Rail Transport" [French railways enter in the capital of Comsa Rail Transport]. (in Spanish). 30 April 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
  6. ^ a b "SNCF to take 25% stake in Comsa Rail Transport". Railway Gazette International. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
  7. ^ Barrow, Keith (29 October 2013), SNCF-Comsa Rail share acquisition approved
  8. ^ SNCF Logistics buys Spanish freight operator Railway Gazette International 17 July 2018
  9. ^ "FER Polska S.A." Transport i Komunikacja - Warsaw, Poland. 2013. Archived from the original on 16 June 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
  10. ^ "International Operations". Archived from the original on 6 March 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
  11. ^ "Spain: Interoperable freight traffic between Spain and Portugal". UIC ENEWS, International Union of Railways. 17 March 2009. Archived from the original on 14 March 2012.
  12. ^ "DSB Litra MZ(III) 1427-1446". (in Danish). Retrieved 17 May 2013.
  13. ^ "Comsa S/253: Introduction". see individual locomotive histories for Comsa "253-1001" to "253-103". Retrieved 16 January 2011.