Canon EOS 6D
The EOS 6D body without a lens attached
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Sensor||35.8 mm × 23.9 mm CMOS|
|Maximum resolution||5,472 × 3,648 |
(20 effective megapixels)
|ASA/ISO range||100 – 25,600 (expansion to L1 50 / H1 51.200 / H2 102,400)|
|Storage||SD, SDHC or SDXC card (UHS-I capable)|
|Focus modes||One-shot, AI Servo, AI Focus, Manual|
|Focus areas||11 autofocus points|
|Exposure modes||Full auto, programmed, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual|
|Exposure metering||TTL, full aperture, 63 zones|
|Metering modes||Evaluative, Partial, Spot, Center-weighted average|
|Shutter speed range||30 s to 1/4,000 s, bulb, 1/180 s X-sync|
|Continuous shooting||up to 4.5 fps|
|Viewfinder||Optical pentaprism with 97% coverage 0.71× and electronic (Live View)|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.0 in (7.6 cm), 720 × 480 pixels, 288 ppi (approx. 1,040,000 dots)|
|Battery||Li-Ion LP-E6 Rechargeable (1800 mAh)|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E13 grip allows use of 6 AA cells, a single LP-E6 or two LP-E6 batteries|
|Dimensions||144.5 mm × 110.5 mm × 71.2 mm (5.69 in × 4.35 in × 2.80 in)|
|Weight||680 g (24 oz), body only; 755 g (26.6 oz), CIPA standard|
The EOS 6D was publicly announced on 17 September 2012, one day before the start of the Photokina 2012 trade show. It was released in late November 2012 and offered at that time as a body only for a suggested retail price of US$2,099 or in a package with an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens for a suggested retail price of US$2,899.
It was superseded by the EOS 6D Mark II in 2017.
The EOS 6D is the first Canon DSLR to feature GPS functions and built in Wi-Fi capabilities, which geotag images and allow files to be uploaded directly to Facebook, YouTube, or Canon Image Gateway; transferred to external devices; or sent to be printed on a Wi-Fi-enabled Canon printer. The Wi-Fi capabilities also allow remote control and viewing via many smartphones.
Weighing 770 grams (27 oz), the 6D is also Canon's smallest and lightest full-frame DSLR, comparable to the APS-C sensor 60D. The camera supports ISO settings from 50 to 102,400 which can be selected automatically or adjusted manually, an 11-point autofocus system, and an anti-glare 3.0 inches (76 mm) LED screen. The center autofocus point has a sensitivity of −3 EV.
The BG-E13 battery grip, which was made to be used with the 6D, allows the use of six AA cells, or one or two LP-E6 batteries. The 6D has a maximum burst frame rate of 4.5 frames per second. Like all Canon DSLR full-frame cameras, the 6D does not have a built in flash due to the design of the viewfinder.
- 20.2 megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor.
- DIGIC 5+ image processor.
- Fluorine-coated low-pass filter.
Autofocus and meteringEdit
- 11-point autofocus sensors with 1 cross type sensor in center (x-type is sensitive down to −3 EV).
- TTL-CT-SIR AF with CMOS sensor.
- 63-zone Dual Layer-silicon cell.
- AF Micro Adjust (+/− 20 steps).
- ISO 100 – ISO 25,600. Expansion down to ISO 50 and up to ISO 51,200 and ISO 102,400.
- 30 s – 1/4,000 s (and bulb) is the shutter speed range.
- 4.5 fps burst rate.
Ergonomics and functionsEdit
- Optical pentaprism viewfinder with approximately 97% coverage (0,71× enlargement)
- Clear View TFT LCD screen (3 "/77 mm) with 720 × 480 pixels, 288 ppi (approximately 1,040,000 dots), resolution with dual anti-glare coating.
- Wi-Fi functionality.
- Metal alloy housing. (The top is made out of high-grade plastic.)
- Built-in GPS. This remains on when the camera is switched off, and quickly drains the battery if not deactivated via setting.
The movie image size can be set, as well as the frame rate per second, and compression method. Available modes:
- 1920×1080 @ 24/25/30 fps: Full High Definition recording quality
- 1280×720 @ 50/60 fps: High-Definition recording quality
- 640×480 @ 50/60 fps: Standard-definition recording quality
6D with an EF 35mm f/1.4L lens attached
- "EOS 6D Specifications". 13 October 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "Canon EOS 6D". Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Canon EOS 6D Camera - Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 6D". Canon.com. 26 May 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "Canon Announces Its Smallest and Lightest Full-Frame Digital SLR Camera For Serious Photographers" (Press release). Canon U.S.A., Inc. 17 September 2012.
- "Press Release". Canon U.S.A., Inc. Archived from the original on 21 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Horaczek, Stan (3 December 2012). "Lensrentals Took Apart A Canon 6D". Popular Photography. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Uy, Melody. "Canon launches entry-level, full-frame EOS 6D". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "About EOS 6D - Specifications". Canon. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Burke, Elaine. "Canon unveils EOS 6D DSLR and three new PowerShot compact cameras". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Atkins, Bob. "Canon EOS 6D Preview". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Canon EOS 6D Instruction Manual" (PDF). usa.canon.com. Canon. 1 September 2012. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Canon Releases Firmware Updates for Multiple Cameras". www.canonrumors.com. Retrieved 9 April 2018.