Campbell Singer (born Jacob Kobel Singer; 16 March 1909 – 16 February 1976) was a British character actor who featured in a number of stage, film and television roles during his long career. He was also a playwright and dramatist.
Jacob Kobel Singer
16 March 1909
|Died||16 February 1976 (aged 66)|
|Occupation||Actor & writer|
|Spouse(s)||Gillian Maude (1954 - 16 February 1976) (his death)|
Singer was a regular in British post-war comedy films, often playing policemen. He first appeared on television in 1946, making regular appearances in the following three decades including several episodes of 'Hancock's Half Hour', and played the lead, John Unthank, in the BBC drama series 'Private Investigator' in 1958/59.
From the early 1960s he appeared more consistently on television. He played several roles in the 1966 Doctor Who story The Celestial Toymaker, and made two appearances in different roles in the popular television series Dad's Army, including as corrupt politician Sir Charles McAllister. He also featured as Mr Finney in a Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Christmas Special, and played a lodger in an episode of On the Buses.
|1947||Take My Life||Police Station Sergeant||Uncredited|
|1947||Jim the Penman||Sutro|
|1947||The Woman in the Hall||Von Soll's servant|
|1948||Dick Barton - Special Agent||Sir George Cavendish|
|1949||The Spider and the Fly||Belfort's Escort||Uncredited|
|1949||Rover and Me||Mr. Jackson|
|1950||The Blue Lamp||Station Sergeant||Uncredited|
|1950||Hangman's Wharf||Inspector Prebble|
|1950||Someone at the Door||Inspector Spedding|
|1950||Cage of Gold||A Policeman|
|1950||Dick Barton at Bay||Sir George Cavendish|
|1951||The Quiet Woman|
|1951||Pool of London||Station Sgt.||Uncredited|
|1951||A Case for PC 49||Sgt. Wright|
|1951||The Case of the Missing Scene||Film Producer|
|1952||The Happy Family||Policeman|
|1952||Home at Seven||Inspector Hemingway|
|1952||Emergency Call||Sgt. Phillips|
|1952||Lady in the Fog||Inspector Rigby|
|1952||The Ringer||Station Sergeant Carter|
|1953||Time Bomb||Inspector Branson|
|1953||The Yellow Balloon||Potter|
|1953||Appointment in London||Flight Sergeant|
|1953||The Titfield Thunderbolt||Police Sergeant|
|1953||Street Corner||Desk Sgt. Bates||Uncredited|
|1953||The Intruder||War Office Clerk|
|1953||The Girl on the Pier||Joe Hammond|
|1954||Conflict of Wings||Flt. Sgt. Campbell|
|1954||Forbidden Cargo||Sergeant Dodson, River Police||Uncredited|
|1954||To Dorothy a Son||Pub Landlord|
|1956||Ramsbottom Rides Again||Uncredited|
|1958||The Square Peg||Sergeant Loder|
|1958||The Young and the Guilty||Joe Marshall|
|1959||No Trees in the Street||Inspector|
|1960||The Trials of Oscar Wilde||Inspector|
|1960||The Hands of Orlac||Inspector Henderson|
|1960||Danger Man||General Abeijon / Colonel Segur||TV Series, 2 episodes|
|1961||Girl on the Roof||Sir Archibald||Uncredited|
|1962||The Pot Carriers||Prison Officer Mott|
|1962||The Wild and the Willing||Herbert Gilby||Uncredited|
|1962||On the Beat||Bollington|
|1962||Flat Two||Hurley Brown|
|1963||The Fast Lady||Kingscombe|
|1964||Go Kart Go||Policeman|
- McFarlane, Brian (16 May 2016). The Encyclopedia of British Film: Fourth edition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9781526111975 – via Google Books.
- "Campbell Singer". www.aveleyman.com.
- "Campbell Singer - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Campbell Singer - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- League, The Broadway. "Calculated Risk – Broadway Play – Original - IBDB". www.ibdb.com.
- "Campbell Singer".
- "Campbell Singer".
- Pitts, Michael R. (28 October 2017). Famous Movie Detectives III. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810836907 – via Google Books.
- "The Celestial Toymaker ★★★★".
- Pertwee, Bill (3 November 2009). Dad's Army: The Making of a TV Legend. Bloomsbury USA. ISBN 9781844861057 – via Google Books.
- Perry, Chris (3 February 2016). The Kaleidoscope British Christmas Television Guide 1937-2013. Lulu.com. ISBN 9781900203609 – via Google Books.
- Walker, Craig (21 June 2011). On The Buses: The Complete Story. Andrews UK Limited. ISBN 9781907792168 – via Google Books.
- "Guilty Party - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Difference of Opinion (1967)".
- "Any Other Business (1964)".