Camp Verde, Texas
Camp Verde, Texas
|Elevation||491 ft (150 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST)|
|GNIS feature ID||1332015|
The town of Camp Verde came about from the Old Camp Verde military camp. The town grew around the old Williams community store (opened in 1857), which was built to serve the soldiers stationed at the base. After Williams died in 1858, German immigrant Charles Schreiner acquired the store. After the camp was abandoned, the store continued to operate as a post office to area residents.
The first post office opened in 1858, running out of Screiner's store. This post office closed 1866. When the post office reopened in 1887, Charles C. Kelly served as post master. However, this post office was also closed in 1892. Walter S. Nowlin re-established the post office and store in 1899.
The Camel ExperimentEdit
In 1854, Secretary of War Jefferson Davis (who later became the president of the Confederacy), pushed for the use of camels by the American Army. The initiative was passed by Congress on March 3, 1855 and the first camels arrived in the area in April 1856. After the fort was deactivated in 1869, the experiment died with it.
Camp Verde General StoreEdit
The Camp Verde General Store is still in operation to this day, having been in operation for over 150 years. The store has become somewhat of a tourist attraction in the area. The store also runs the post office and operates a restaurant.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Camp Verde has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Camp Verde (Kerr County, Texas): Miscellaneous Information". Roadside Thoughts. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "CAMP VERDE, TX-The Handbook of Texas Online-Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "History-Camp Verde General Store-Camp Verde, Texas". Camp Verde General Store. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Camp Verde General Store-Camp Verde, Texas". Camp Verde General Store. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Climate Summary for Camp Verde, Texas