Cabinda (Kongo: Tsiowa) is a city located in the Cabinda Province, an exclave of Angola. Angolan sovereignty over Cabinda is disputed by the secessionist Republic of Cabinda. The municipality of Cabinda covered 1,823 square kilometres (704 square miles) and contained 598,210 inhabitants in 2014. The residents of the city are known as Cabindas or Fiotes. Cabinda, due to its proximity to rich oil reserves, serves as one of Angola's main oil ports.
Cidade de Cabinda
Municipality and city
The Chapel of Rainha do Mundo in the City of Cabinda
|Admin. division||Cabinda province|
|• Total||1,823 km2 (704 sq mi)|
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
There are considerable offshore oil reserves nearby.
Cabinda is located on the Atlantic Ocean coast in the south of Cabinda Province, and sits on the right bank of the Bele River. It is 56 kilometres (35 mi) north of Moanda (DR Congo), 70 kilometres (43 mi) north of Congo River estuary and 137 kilometres (85 mi) south of Pointe-Noire (Rep. Congo).
The city of Cabinda is divided into three districts, or comuna:
- Cabinda, the city seat, with 88.6% of the population the city
- Malembo, with 3.1%
- Tando-Zinze, with 8.3%
The city's population has a peculiar culture from its way of dressing and eating to traditional rituals, especially Chicumbe and celebrated ceremonies of Bakamas do Tchizo, a traditional ritual that enables the interaction between the living and the occult spirits of the gods and the ancestors, thus ensuring the reconciliation between the dead and the living.
Ibinda, a Bantu language, is the primary language of both the city and province of Cabinda. Portuguese, the official language of Angola, is also spoken, though mostly as an administrative role. Since Cabinda was colonized relatively later (late nineteenth century) by Portugal compared to most of Angola, Portuguese isn't as widely spoken, though language speakers are rapidly growing in number.
- "Cabinda". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc. 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- "Cabinda" (in Portuguese). Luanda, Angola: Info-Angola. 2014. Archived from the original on 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Google. "Cabinda (city)" (Map). Google Maps. Google.
- "Region 1: Cabinda". Postcode Query. 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- "Cidade de Cabinda comemora 52 anos" [Cabinda city celebrates 52 years] (in Portuguese). Governo da Província de Cabinda. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Uma excursão virtual a Cabinda" [A virtual tour to Cabinda] (in Portuguese). Teia Portuguesa. Retrieved 2019-03-19.