This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019)
The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is a comprehensive one-volume reference resource for science research. First published in 1914, it is currently (as of 2021[update]) in its 102nd edition, published in 2021. It is sometimes nicknamed the "Rubber Bible" or the "Rubber Book", as CRC originally stood for "Chemical Rubber Company".
|Publisher||CRC Press (formerly The Chemical Rubber Company)|
|Pages||1624 (102nd ed.)|
|ISBN||9780367417246 (101st ed.)|
As late as the 1962–1963 edition (3604 pages) the Handbook contained myriad information for every branch of science and engineering. Sections in that edition include: Mathematics, Properties and Physical Constants, Chemical Tables, Properties of Matter, Heat, Hygrometric and Barometric Tables, Sound, Quantities and Units, and Miscellaneous. Earlier editions included sections such as "Antidotes of Poisons", "Rules for Naming Organic Compounds", "Surface Tension of Fused Salts", "Percent Composition of Anti-Freeze Solutions", "Spark-gap Voltages", "Greek Alphabet", "Musical Scales", "Pigments and Dyes", "Comparison of Tons and Pounds", "Twist Drill and Steel Wire Gauges" and "Properties of the Earth's Atmosphere at Elevations up to 160 Kilometers". Later editions focus almost exclusively on chemistry and physics topics and eliminated much of the more "common" information.
Contents by editionEdit
- 22nd Edition – 44th Edition
- Section A: Mathematical Tables
- Section B: Properties and Physical Constants
- Section C: General Chemical Tables/Specific Gravity and Properties of Matter
- Section D: Heat and Hygrometry/Sound/Electricity and Magnetism/Light
- Section E: Quantities and Units/Miscellaneous
- 45th Edition – 70th Edition
- Section A: Mathematical Tables
- Section B: Elements and Inorganic Compounds
- Section C: Organic Compounds
- Section D: General Chemical
- Section E: General Physical Constants
- Section F: Miscellaneous
- 71st Edition – 102nd edition
- Section 1: Basic Constants, Units, and Conversion Factors
- Section 2: Symbols, Terminology, and Nomenclature
- Section 3: Physical Constants of Organic Compounds
- Section 4: Properties of the Elements and Inorganic Compounds
- Section 5: Thermochemistry, Electrochemistry, and Kinetics (or Thermo, Electro & Solution Chemistry)
- Section 6: Fluid Properties
- Section 7: Biochemistry
- Section 8: Analytical Chemistry
- Section 9: Molecular Structure and Spectroscopy
- Section 10: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
- Section 11: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Section 12: Properties of Solids
- Section 13: Polymer Properties
- Section 14: Geophysics, Astronomy, and Acoustics
- Section 15: Practical Laboratory Data
- Section 16: Health and Safety Information
- Appendix A: Mathematical Tables
- Appendix B: CAS Registry Numbers and Molecular Formulas of Inorganic Substances (72nd – 75th)
- Appendix B: Sources of Physical and Chemical Data (83rd–)
In addition to an extensive line of engineering handbooks and references and textbooks across virtually all scientific disciplines, CRC is today also known as a leading publisher of books related to forensic sciences, forensic pathology, criminology, and police sciences.
- "CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - 102nd Edition - John Rumble". Taylor & Francis. Retrieved 2021-09-19.
- Broad, William J. (15 June 1979). "Rubber Bible Turns 60". Science. 204 (4398): 1181. doi:10.1126/science.204.4398.1181. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 17772414.
- "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 102nd Edition". CRC Press. Retrieved 2021-09-19.
- "CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics". libraries.indiana.edu. 2002-01-28. Retrieved 2020-02-25.
- 95th Edition (26 Jun 2014) ISBN 1-4822-0867-9 with 2693 pages, Editor-in-Chief W. M. Haynes.
- PDF copy of the 8th edition, published in 1920
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics online (subscription required)
- Tables Relocated or Removed from CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 71st through 87th Editions