CFA Institute is a global association of investment professionals.
|Heather Brilliant, CFA|
|Paul Smith, CFA|
|Financial Analysts Journal|
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The organization offers the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, the Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM) designation, and the Investment Foundations Certificate. It provides continuing education conferences, seminars, webcasts, and publications to allow members and other participants to stay current on developments in the investment industry. CFA Institute also oversees the CFA Institute Research Challenge for university students and the Research Foundation of CFA Institute.
In 2019, it was fined $320,000 for unauthorised hiring of foreign workers rather than employing Americans.
In 1947, four financial analyst societies—Boston, Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia—cooperated for the purpose of promoting the exchange of ideas and supporting the welfare of their profession. In 1962, some of these financial analysts created the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and established a code of conduct. In 1963, the profession was formalized when 284 candidates sat for the first CFA exam and 268 CFA charters were awarded. In 2004, the Association for Investment Management and Research voted to change its name to the CFA Institute.
In February 2019, The United States Department of Justice announced it will fine CFA Institute more than $320,000 for discriminating against qualified American workers by hiring foreign workers imported through the H-1B visa program.
The largest of CFA Institute's member societies are:
- New York: Over 15,500 members
- Toronto: Over 7,500 members
- United Kingdom: Over 8,000 members
- Hong Kong: Over 5,000 members
- Boston: Over 5,000 members
- Chicago: Over 3,500 members
- San Francisco: Over 3,000 members
- Montreal: Over 2,700 members
- Singapore: Over 2,500 members
- Los Angeles: Over 2,000 members
- Washington, DC: Over 2,000 members
Florida has the largest number of societies (six), followed by California and Ohio with five each. The oldest society, which was founded in 1925, is in Chicago. The newest society, which was admitted in August 2012, is in Nigeria.
- Huang, Daniel (10 June 2014). "CFA Institute Chief Departs After Disclosing Relationship" – via Wall Street Journal.
- "Research & Data".
- Burr, Barry B. (20 January 2015). "CFA Institute names new president, CEO".
- "CFA Institute Research Foundation". CFA Institute. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Research Challenge". CFA Institute. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2014-11-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "CFAI Annual Report 2018". CFA Institute. 2018. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "AIMR Changes Name to CFA Institute : Educalc.net". Archived from the original on 2017-10-06. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- Binder, John (2019-02-27). "DOJ Fines Virginia Firm for Hiring Foreigners over Qualified Americans". U.S. Tech Workers. Retrieved 2019-06-02.