Cécile La Grenade
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dame Cécile La Grenade
|Governor General of Grenada|
|Assumed office |
7 May 2013
|Monarch||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Prime Minister||Keith Mitchell|
|Preceded by||Carlyle Glean|
Cécile Ellen Fleurette La Grenade
30 December 1952
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies|
University of Maryland, College Park
La Grenade is the third of 5 daughters born to Allan A. La Grenade MBE, a civil servant, and Sibyl Sylvester-La Grenade, a registered nurse. Her maternal grandmother, Mary Louise "Eva" Ollivierre-Sylvester, was the first woman in the British Windward Islands to serve on the legislative council of her country, after being elected in 1952, less than a year after universal suffrage.
La Grenade is a food scientist trained in the United States. She holds a bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of the West Indies, as well as a master's degree and doctorate in food science from the University of Maryland at College Park. Her appointment as Governor-General was announced during the same week as the death of Grenada's first female Governor, Dame Hilda Bynoe. Bynoe was the goddaughter of La Grenade's maternal grandfather, Dr Cyril I. St Bernard Sylvester, an educator and public servant.
- Two Sicilian Royal Family: Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Two Sicilian Royal Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- United Kingdom: Dame Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of St Michael and St George
- United Kingdom: Officer of the Order of the British Empire
- Per birth certificate, Registry of Birth records, Parish of Saint George, Grenada, West Indies
- "Photographic image" (JPG). Constantinian.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Governor General of Grenada attends Autumn Delegation Dinner of the Constantinian Order - Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St. George". 9 November 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Photographic image" (JPEG). Constantinian.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Photographic image" (JPG). 1.pictures.zimbio.com. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Photographic image" (JPG). 4.pictures.zimbio.com. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- Grenada Names First Female Governor General, Cecile La Grenade
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
| Governor General of Grenada