Howes in 2011
|Born||22 March 1960|
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
|Years of service||1982 –|
|Commands held||Royal Marines|
3 Commando Brigade
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Howes was educated at Christ's Hospital, an independent school in Horsham, West Sussex. He studied chemistry at the University of York, graduating with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree. He completed a Master of Arts (MA) degree in strategic studies at the University of London.
Howes was commissioned into the Royal Marines in 1982. He became a troop commander in 42 Commando and had his first posting to Northern Ireland. After training as a Mountain Leader, he transferred to 45 Commando. He served in the Gulf War while on secondment to the USMC. He served as a planner in the Rapid Reaction Force Operations Staff of UNPROFOR during the Bosnian War in 1995.
Howes became Commanding Officer of 42 Commando (during the Iraq War) in 2003, Chief Joint Coordination and Effects in Headquarters ISAF in Afghanistan in 2007 and Director of Naval Staff later that year. He went on to be Commander of 3 Commando Brigade in April 2008, Head of Overseas Operations in the Ministry of Defence in 2009 and Commandant General Royal Marines in February 2010. He was Head of the British Defence Staff – US and Defence Attaché in Washington, D.C. from 2011 to 2015.
- 'HOWES, Maj. Gen. Francis Hedley Roberton, (Buster)', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 22 June 2017
- Royal Navy: Major General Buster Howes OBE
- Royal Navy Senior Appointments Archived 15 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Whitaker's Almanack 2012
- "Major General Buster Howes OBE". GOV.UK. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "No. 60534". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 June 2013. p. 2.
| Commandant General Royal Marines
| Head of the British Defence Staff – US and Defence Attaché
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buster Howes.|