"Burning House" is a song by American country music singer Cam. It was released on June 16, 2015, as the second single from her second album Untamed. Co-written with Tyler Johnson and Jeff Bhasker, the song was inspired by an ex-boyfriend of Cam's that attended the same party she was in and the dream she had of attempting to save him from a 'burning house'.
|Single by Cam|
|from the album Untamed|
|Released||June 16, 2015|
|Cam singles chronology|
"Burning House" peaked at number 2 on both the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts respectively. The song also charted on the Hot 100, peaking at number 29. The song was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and has sold 1,125,000 copies in the United States as of November 2016. It received similar chart success in Canada, peaking at number 2 on the Country chart and number 46 on the Canadian Hot 100. It was also certified Gold by Music Canada, denoting sales of over 40,000 units in that country.
The accompanying music video for the song was directed by Trey Fanjoy.
History and contentEdit
According to Billboard, the idea for the song came when Cam learned that an ex-boyfriend of hers would be at a party that she was attending, and that night, she had a dream that she was trying to rescue him from a burning house. She recounted the dream to producer Tyler Johnson via Skype, and he offered a guitar riff inspired by Metallica’s "Nothing Else Matters" while she came up with "two off-the-cuff opening lines that alternate between standard 4/4 time and 3/4 bars". When they recorded the song with producer Jeff Bhasker, Johnson played acoustic guitar on the recording, with a few notes spliced in from Cam's guitarist, Doug Showalter, due to Johnson having difficulty playing the last four notes of the riff. The song also features a piano, a muted bass, and a small string section arranged by Hamilton Ulmer.
The song has a play length of 3 minutes and 51 seconds. It is composed in the key of A minor, and alternates between 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures. Cam's vocal ranges just over an octave, from G3 to A4.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country praised Cam’s voice and the musical arrangement, saying “The newcomer’s performance is stark and personal. Her production team does a great job of not getting in the way.” He also said that “Cam is the one who wronged her man, not vice-versa. The other way around is an over-told story, but there’s nothing unoriginal” about "Burning House".
Billboard ranked "Burning House" at No. 24 on its year-end list for 2015: "In one four-minute track, Cam manages to pack in frustration, despair, anguish, and torment. But what makes it beautiful is the wounded vocal melody set against gentle guitar strumming and understated strings. This is the rare quiet breakout hit of 2015." At the 58th Annual Grammy Awards, "Burning House" was nominated for Best Country Solo Performance but lost to Chris Stapleton's "Traveller".
The song was released after Cam performed it twice on The Bobby Bones Show, and the song entered the Hot Country Songs chart at No. 43 on the song release (chart date June 27, 2015), selling 13,000 copies. It debuted at No. 48 on the Country Airplay chart dated for July 11, 2015. It then entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 94 on the chart date of August 1, 2015. The song was certified Gold by the RIAA on October 14, 2015, and Platinum on December 16, 2015. The song reached over a million in sales in the US in March 2016. The song has sold 1,216,000 copies as of November 2016. The song later went on to peak at #2.
From Untamed liner notes.
- Jeff Bhasker – piano, background vocals
- Connie Ellisor – violin
- Carl Gorodetzky – string contractor
- Jim Grosjean – violin
- Tyler Johnson – acoustic guitar, background vocals
- Tony Lucido – bass guitar
- Anders Mouridsen – electric guitar
- Cam (as Camaron Ochs) – lead vocals, background vocals
- Carole Rabinowitz – cello
- Douglas Charles Showalter – acoustic guitar
- Hamilton Ulmer – string arrangements
- Jeff Bhasker – production
- Jon Castelli – mixing
- Tyler Johnson – production, engineering
- Lindsey Marias – vocal production
- Melissa Mattey – string engineering
- Ryan Nasci – mixing engineer
- Ernesto Olivera – engineering
- Alex Salibian – engineering
Chart and certificationsEdit
Certifications and salesEdit
- "Burning House". Roughstock. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Untamed (CD insert). Cam. Arista Nashville/RCA. 2015. 88875-07049-2.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Roland, Tom (July 15, 2015). "Country Singer Cam Dreams Up a Smoldering Ballad With 'Burning House'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "'Burning House' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Dukes, Billy (June 17, 2015). "ToC Critic's Pick: Cam, 'Burning House' [Listen]". Taste of Country. Taste of Country Network. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Billboard 25 Best Songs of 2015: Critics' Picks". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. December 17, 2015. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- "58th Annual Grammy Awards Winners". Country Weekly. American Media. February 15, 2016. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Bjorke, Matt (June 17, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of June 17, 2015". Roughstock. Sales figure given here
- "American single certifications – Cam – Burning House". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Bjorke, Matt (March 12, 2016). "Top 30 Digital Singles Report: March 14, 2016". Roughstock.
- Bjorke, Matt (November 13, 2018). "Top 30 Digital Country Singles Chart: November 13, 2018". RoughStock. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Schillaci, Sophie (October 14, 2015). "EXCLUSIVE: Cam Literally Burns a House to the Ground in Stunning 'Burning House'. It begins with Cam standing outside of the burning house and which she decided to step inside where she looks around and there she sees a group of people while her boyfriend is standing right in front of her. Then, she walks up the stairs into a bedroom where Cam sees her boyfriend from earlier and hugs him ending the video with the look at the burning house. Video". Entertainment Tonight. CBS Studios Inc. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "Cam Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Cam Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2015: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "Best of 2015: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "Canadian single certifications – Cam – Burning House". Music Canada. Retrieved March 31, 2016.