Buried penis (also known as hidden penis) is a congenital or acquired condition, in which the penis is partially or completely hidden below the surface of the skin. It can lead to obstruction of urinary stream, poor hygiene, soft tissue infection, phimosis, and inhibition of normal sexual function. Congenital causes include maldevelopment of penile shaft skin, whereas acquired conditions include morbid obesity, overlaying abdominal fat, or penile injury. Adults with a buried penis will either live with their condition or undergo weight-loss programs. However, weight-loss programs are slow and often do not "unbury" the penis; furthermore, poor hygiene from pooling of urine can lead to soft tissue infection. Patients will eventually need definitive reconstructive surgery and more urgent surgery if infection is present. Surgeons who manage this condition are either reconstructive urologic surgeons or plastic surgeons.
Subcutaneous soft silicone implantEdit
- Frenkl, Tara L.; Agartwal, Saurabh; Caldamone, Anthony A. (February 2004). "Results of a simplified technique for buried penis repair" (PDF). The Journal of Urology. 171 (2): 826–828. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000107824.72182.95. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Penis". University of Maryland Medical Center. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Kotler, MD, Robert (7 June 2011). "A Subject Rarely Discussed: Hidden or Buried Penis". WebMD. WebMD. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Tang, SH; Kamat, D; Santucci, RA (July 2008). "Modern management of adult-acquired buried penis". Urology. 72 (1): 124–127. PMID 18343486. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2008.01.059.
- Chopra, CW; Ayoub, NT; Bromfield, C; Witt, PD (November 2002). "Surgical management of acquired (cicatricial) buried penis in an adult patient". Ann Plast Surg. 49 (5): 545–549. PMID 12439025. doi:10.1097/01.SAP.0000017984.37197.8F (inactive 2017-03-21).
- Crawford, BS (January 1977). "Buried penis". Brit J Plast Surg. 30 (1): 96–99. PMID 836989.
- Donatucci, CF; Ritter, EF (February 1998). "Management of the buried penis in adults". J Urol. 159 (2): 420–24. PMID 9649254. doi:10.1016/s0022-5347(01)63939-9.
- Adham, MN; Teimourian, B; Mosca, P (September 2000). "Buried penis release in adults with suction lipectomy and abdominoplasty". Plast Reconstr Surg. 106 (4): 840–44. PMID 11007398. doi:10.1097/00006534-200009020-00014.
- Shaeer, O; Shaeer, K (March 2009). "Revealing the buried penis in adults". J Sex Med. 6 (3): 876–885. PMID 19170865. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.01162.x.
- "Penis Implants Exist Now, and They Start at a Size Large". Cosmopolitan.com.
- "The Bionic Dick Is Here". GQ.