|Look up buffer in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Buffer may refer to:
Technology and engineeringEdit
- Buffer (GIS), a HASS zone around a map feature
- Buffer (optical fiber), a GG component of a fiber optic cable
- Buffer amplifier, an isolating circuit used in electronics or telecommunications
- Digital buffer, an electronic circuit used to isolate the input from the output
- Optical buffer, a device that stores optically transmitted data
- Buffer (rail transport), a device that cushions impacts between vehicles
- Buffer stop, a device that keeps rail vehicles on tracks
- Recoil buffer, a firearm component
- Buffer wheel, a device used to smooth a workpiece's surface
- Floor buffer, an appliance used to polish hard floors
- Seismic buffers, protect structures against the effects of earthquakes
- Data buffer, memory used temporarily to store output or input data while it is transferred.
- Framebuffer, a type of data buffer for use in graphical display
- Memory buffer register, the connection between processor and memory
- Buffer (application), a software application for managing social network accounts
- Buffer state, a country separating two rival or hostile powers, thought to prevent conflict between them
- Buffer zone, a region separating two areas, possibly to segregate or conjoin them
- Buffer (navy), a colloquial title
- Buffer, an object that is used to polish and make shiny by rubbing.
- Buffer piece, a fundamental position in a Rubik's Cube for solving it blindfolded.