Buffalo Island Central High School
Buffalo Island Central High School (or BIC) is a comprehensive public high school serving students in grades nine through twelve in Monette, Arkansas, United States. It serves the Blue Island area in Craighead County and is the sole high school administered by the Buffalo Island Central School District with its main feeder school as Buffalo Island Central Junior High School. In 2010, two administrators were recognized as Administrators of the Year by the Arkansas Scholastic Press Association (ASPA).
|Buffalo Island Central High School|
803 West Drew Street
|School type||Public (government funded)|
|School district||Buffalo Island Central School District|
|NCES District ID||0503710|
|Authority||Arkansas Department of Education (ADE)|
|NCES School ID||050371001271|
|• Grade 10||68|
|• Grade 11||40|
|• Grade 12||46|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.65|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core curriculum|
|School color(s)|| Navy Blue|
|Athletics conference||2A 3 (Basketball) Conference (2012-14)|
|Sports||Basketball (boys/girls), track (boys/girls),|
|Team name||Buffalo Island Central Mustangs|
|Communities served||Monette and Blue Island area|
|Feeder schools||Buffalo Island Central Junior High School (5-8)|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
The assumed course of study for BIC students is the Smart Core curriculum developed the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), which requires students to complete 22 credit units before graduation. Students engage in regular and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams.
The Buffalo Island Central High School mascot is the Mustang with school colors are navy blue and silver. The Buffalo Island Central Mustangs participate in various interscholastic activities in the 2A 3 (Basketball) Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The school athletic activities include basketball (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), soccer (boys only), track (boys/girls), golf (boys/girls), baseball, and softball.
In 2012 and 2015, the Lady Mustangs were Class 2A state finalists in softball.
In 2013, the boys golf team were the 2A State Champions, placing two individuals in the overall tournament.
Buffalo Island Central's journalism program has been recognized on the local, state and national level. Students in the program frequently win recognition at the Arkansas Scholastic Press Association's annual conventions. In 2013 and 2014, journalism staff members won nine Quill and Scroll National Yearbook Excellence Gold Keys and two Sweepstakes awards, and students won awards at the Journalism Education Association's national conventions in both 2013 and 2014.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Buffalo IS. Central SCH. DIST". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 13, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - Buffalo IS. Central HS (050371001271)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 13, 2012.
- "School Profile, Buffalo Island Central High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original on 2013-02-24. Retrieved Sep 8, 2012.
- "BIC principals named ASPA Administrators of the Year". Hoof Prints. Retrieved Sep 14, 2012.
- "2012-13 Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-31. Retrieved Sep 14, 2012.