Buck Hardee Field at Legion Stadium
Buck Hardee Field at Legion Stadium is a baseball venue in Wilmington, North Carolina, United States. It is home to the Wilmington Sharks of the Coastal Plain League, a collegiate summer baseball league. The stadium is part of the multi-purpose sports complex known as Legion Stadium, which is also home to the Wilmington Hammerheads professional soccer team.
The field is located at 2149 Carolina Beach Road, Wilmington, NC.
On September 22, 1981, the baseball field at Legion Stadium was renamed in honor of Buck Hardee, an area American Legion baseball coach. Hardee won five American Legion state championships in his time as coach of Post 10 Legion baseball. Because it is home to the Sharks, the park is often colloquially known as "The Shark Tank."
In the summer of 2009, Coastal Plain League President Pete Bock stated his wish that the field be upgraded. Any improvements would come in addition to minor renovations by the Sharks' ownership over the past few seasons. Bock said he believed new seating would be beneficial to the park. The city of Wilmington responded with interest in minor renovations to the facility.
- Team Information at coastalplain.com, URL accessed November 25, 2009. Archived 11/25/09
- Legion Stadium at wilmingtonhammerheads.com, URL accessed December 9, 2009. Archived 12/9/09
- Directions at wlmingtonsharks.com, URL accessed December 9, 2009. Archived 12/9/09
- Field Named for Hardee at news.google.com, URL accessed December 9, 2009. Archived 12/9/09
- "Sharks to Host Boy Scouts Ballpark Campout". April 29, 2009. Archived from the original on 2011-03-31. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- CPL: Buck Hardee Field must be upgraded at ballparkdigest.com, URL accessed December 9, 2009. Archived 12/9/09