|Born: May 21, 1970|
Charleston, South Carolina
|July 17, 1994, for the San Diego Padres|
|Last MLB appearance|
|July 21, 2001, for the Boston Red Sox|
|Earned run average||4.47|
Florie pitched for four teams, the San Diego Padres (1994–1996), the Milwaukee Brewers (1996–1997), the Detroit Tigers (1998–1999), and the Boston Red Sox (1999–2001), and finished his career with a 20–24 record, two saves, and an ERA of 4.47.
Florie is remembered for suffering a facial injury that occurred on September 8, 2000 in Fenway Park. The Yankees' Ryan Thompson hit a line drive off Florie's face, causing multiple broken bones and eye damage. Florie made a comeback, pitching in seven games in 2001, but was released by the Red Sox in mid-season.
Florie played for the minor league Sacramento River Cats in 2002 and the Albuquerque Isotopes in 2004. After a two-year break, Florie returned to professional baseball in 2007 playing for the Macon Music of the independent South Coast League. In addition to relief pitching, he also served as the team's pitching coach.
Florie joined the coaching staff of the River City Rascals as the pitching coach for the 2009 season. The Rascals are members of the independent Frontier League. He is currently the head coach at his alma mater, Hanahan High School.
- The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches. Bill James and Rob Neyer. 2004.
- Rob Dibble (2001-12-06). "Amazing comeback for Florie". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Daniel Shirley (2007-05-14). "Plantier has plan for team's players". Macon Music. Retrieved 2008-05-22.[dead link]
- Paul Newberry (2007-06-22). "Has-beens, never-weres try to boost careers in South Coast League". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Career statistics and player information from ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs
- Historic Baseball profile
- MLB historical statistics
- Dan Patrick article on comeback after injury
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|