Bryant Andrew Johnson (born March 7, 1981) is a former American football wide receiver who played in the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals 17th overall in the 2003 NFL Draft and also played for the San Francisco 49ers, Detroit Lions, and Houston Texans. He played college football at Penn State.
Johnson with the San Francisco 49ers
|No. 83, 80, 82, 89|
|Born:||March 7, 1981|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||212 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Baltimore City College|
|NFL Draft:||2003 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17|
|Career NFL statistics|
Johnson attended Baltimore City College high school, excelling at football, basketball, and track. He was selected first-team all-state and the 1998 Baltimore Touchdown Club’s offensive player-of-the-year from the Knight's football team, Johnson also anchored a winning relay team at the Penn Relays for the school's track team.
Johnson was a star wide receiver for Penn State, starting his final two years. He was the sixth player in PSU history to catch more than 100 career passes, and finished second all-time with 2,008 career receiving yards.
Johnson played three years predominantly as the Cardinals' third option receiver, playing mainly out of the slot receiver role, due to Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald being higher on the depth chart. His 35 catches in 2003 was the third most receptions for a rookie (his teammate Anquan Boldin had the most receptions for a rookie that year). In his 5-year career with the Cardinals he caught 210 passes for 2675 yards and 9 touchdowns.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
Johnson signed a one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers on March 14, 2008. He had 45 receptions for 546 yards and three touchdowns the 2008 season, his fifth straight season with 40 or more receptions. In his tenure with the 49ers, he changed his jersey number from 80 to 82 in respect of retired 49ers WR Jerry Rice, whose jersey number 80 was retired in his honor.
Johnson signed with the Houston Texans on August 29, 2011.
- "#80 Bryant Johnson". Arizona Cardinals.
- "49ers Add Bryant Johnson To Receiver Mix". San Jose Mercury News. 2008-03-15.
- Niyo, John (2008-02-28). "Lions to sign WR Bryant Johnson from 49ers". The Detroit News.
- Niyo, John (2008-02-28). "Lions trade Jon Kitna to Cowboys". The Detroit News.
- Rosenthal, Gregg. "Release Tracker". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Alper, Josh (July 26, 2012). "Texans bring back Bryant Johnson, pass on Roy Williams". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- Gaither, Mondek among Texans' cuts