This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bryan Bender (born 1972) is an American journalist. Bender is the defense editor for POLITICO Pro ; previously a D.C.-based reporter for the Boston Globe and Jane’s Defence Weekly, he covered U.S. military operations in the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and the Balkans. He also writes about terrorism, the international arms trade, and government secrecy. He is author You Are Not Forgotten, the story of an Iraq War veteran’s search for a missing World War II fighter pilot in the jungles of New Guinea. He is a board member of the Military Reporters and Editors Association.
He has covered US military operations in the Middle East, Europe, Asia, and Latin America and his dispatches have covered a range of topics including the war in Afghanistan; veterans; military training; the anti-war movement; the Boston Marathon bombings; the nexus between climate change and national security; and newly declassified government files on Cuba, Vietnam, and the Kennedy Administration.
Bender specializes in military affairs, foreign policy, nuclear proliferation, terrorism, and government secrecy.
In 1998, Bender was named the Washington bureau chief for Jane's Defence Weekly, a London-based magazine.
In 2011, he was a finalist for the Gerald R. Loeb Award for Distinguished Business Reporting for a probe into the growing role of retired generals and admirals in defense companies and as private consultants.
In 2011 he uploaded this article about himself; he was also elected president of Military Reporters and Editors Association, the professional association for journalists covering the US military.
His work has also appeared in The New Republic, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Jane's Defence Weekly, among other publications. He is also frequent television and radio commentator on national security and foreign policy topics.
- Politico staff Retrieved March 22, 2017
- "Scripps Howard Foundation: What's New". Scripps.com. 2008-03-07. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2013-05-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2013-11-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-27. Retrieved 2013-05-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Military urged to consider climate changes
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2013-05-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Transcript of CNN appearance
- Appearance on NPR's Morning Edition
- Article by Bender on PTSD prevention efforts in the military
- Article by Bender on nuclear proliferation
- Article by Bender on the Boston Marathon bombings
- Article by Bender on declassified Vietnam-era JFK documents
- Article by Bender on declassified Robert F. Kennedy documents