Brigham Circle station
Brigham Circle is a station on the light rail MBTA Green Line "E" branch, located just east of Brigham Circle in the Mission Hill neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. With raised platforms installed in a 2002 renovation, the station is accessible when served by low-floor streetcars.
An inbound Green Line train at Brigham Circle in 2012
|Location||Huntington Avenue at Francis Street|
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 39, 66, MIS|
|Passengers (2013)||2,547 (weekday average)|
The two side platforms are staggered, with the outbound platform further west. Crosswalks across Huntington Avenue to the station are present at Brigham Circle (to the outbound platform), between the two platforms, and at Wigglesworth Street (to the inbound platform). East of Brigham Circle, the "E" Branch runs in a dedicated reservation in the median of Huntington Avenue; west of the circle is street running in mixed traffic to the terminus at Heath Street. Because of this, service is often terminated at Brigham Circle due to traffic conditions to preserve service frequency on the remainder of the line. At these times, the parallel 39 bus provides all service west of Brigham Circle. A facing point crossover is located just east of the station, allowing terminating trains to cross over to the inbound platform.
As part of a series of service reductions due to a budget crisis, on July 1, 2012 the MBTA began terminating weekend service at Brigham Circle. The cutback was unpopular with local residents, who considered it an unnecessary inconvenience. On October 13, 2012, the cut was quietly reversed by reducing frequency on the branch slightly, thus allowing the same equipment to cover the full line at no additional cost. This was made official with the December 29, 2012 timetable.
Several MBTA Bus routes connect at Brigham Circle. The 39 Forest Hills Station – Back Bay Station via Huntington Avenue route parallels the radial "E" Branch, while the 66 Harvard Square - Dudley Station via Allston & Brookline Village route is a major circumferential connector. The private Mission Hill LINK circulator, run with partial MBTA subsidy, also serves Brigham Circle.
- "Subway Service". Ridership and Service Statistics. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. October 2003. p. 2.19 – via Internet Archive.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- "MBTA Short Notes" (PDF). TRANSreport. Boston Metropolitan Planning Organization. February 2003. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 16, 2011.
- Belcher, Jonathan (27 December 2014). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Fox, Jeremy (30 June 2012). "Loss of weekend E train service worries riders". Boston Globe. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Rocheleau, Matt (28 December 2012). "MBTA reinstates weekend trolley service for entire E branch of the Green Line". Boston Globe. Retrieved 23 February 2015.