Brett Jones (gridiron football)
Brett Jones (born July 29, 1991) is a Canadian-born American football center for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League (NFL). He previous played the NFL's New York Giants, as well as the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). After the 2012 CIS season, he was ranked as the eighth best player in the Canadian Football League's Amateur Scouting Bureau final rankings for players eligible in the 2013 CFL Draft and fifth by players in Canadian Interuniversity Sport. He played CIS football for the Regina Rams.
Jones with the Giants in 2017
|No. 61 – Minnesota Vikings|
|Born:||July 29, 1991|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||315 lb (143 kg)|
|High school:||Weyburn Comprehensive|
(Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada)
|CFL draft:||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 16|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2018|
In the 2013 CFL Draft, Jones was drafted in the second round, 16th overall by the Stampeders and signed with the team on May 29, 2013. He played CIS football for the Regina Rams. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award in 2014 after winning the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2013.
New York GiantsEdit
On February 10, 2015, it was reported that the New York Giants were signing Jones. It was made official when the Giants announced the signing on February 11, 2015. On September 5, 2015, Jones' season came to an end when he was officially placed on injured reserve by the Giants. He played back up centre for the 2016 season and is penciled in as same role for the 2017 season. He started 13 games in 2017 as guard and center throughout the season.
On March 14, 2018, the Giants placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Jones.
On August 26, 2018, Jones was traded to the Minnesota Vikings for the 2019 seventh-round draft pick. He started the first three games of the season at center in place of an injured Pat Elflein, but was reduced to a backup role the rest of the season when Elflein returned from injury.
On April 1, 2019, Jones re-signed with the Vikings.
- CFL Scouting Bureau – April 2013 Archived October 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- STAMPS FINALIZE CAMP ROSTER
- "Brett Jones – 2012 Football". Archived from the original on August 8, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Awards Streak: Stamps' Jones adds to his collection". cfl.ca. November 27, 2014. Archived from the original on November 28, 2014. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "CFL star OL Brett Jones signs with Giants". Giants.com. February 11, 2015. Archived from the original on October 17, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (September 5, 2015). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". Giants.com. Archived from the original on August 22, 2017. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Giants give RFA Brett Jones second-round tender, per reports". BigBlueView.com. March 14, 2018.
- Teope, Herbie (August 26, 2018). "Giants trade center Brett Jones to Vikings for '19 pick". NFL.com.
- "Vikings Sign OL Brett Jones". Vikings.com. April 1, 2019.