Brandon Michael Cunniff (born October 7, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Olmecas de Tabasco of the Mexican League. He made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with the Atlanta Braves in 2015.
|Olmecas de Tabasco – No. 36|
|Born: October 7, 1988|
|April 7, 2015, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||4.50|
Cunniff was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 27th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft out of California State University San Bernardino. He pitched in the Marlins organization for one year, making 18 appearances before being released.
River City RascalsEdit
Cunniff signed with the Atlanta Braves in June 2013. He compiled a 1.99 ERA in 20 appearances at Class–A Lynchburg. The next year, Cunniff made nine more appearances with Lynchburg until a promotion to the Southern League's Mississippi Braves. At the Double–A level, Cunniff pitched in 33 games, recording a 2.05 ERA.
The Braves added Cunniff to the team's 40-man roster on November 19, 2014. He was invited to spring training in 2015, and sent to the minors as one of the final cuts. After Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton, Jr. were traded to the San Diego Padres on April 6, Cunniff was called up. Cunniff went on the disabled list for the first time in his career on June 26, 2015, after suffering a groin strain. He was designated for assignment on December 18, 2015.
Due to a loss of effectiveness arising from a heavy workload in his first Major League Baseball season, Cunniff was not invited to spring training in 2016. Instead, he began the season with the Gwinnett Braves. After two months, Cunniff was demoted to Mississippi, and later called up on August 3 from the Triple–A level. Cunniff was optioned back to Gwinnett on August 12. He spent the rest of August between the major and minor league levels. He was outrighted on November 2, 2016.
Second Stint with MarlinsEdit
Bravos de LeónEdit
New Britain BeesEdit
Tigres de Quintana RooEdit
Olmecas de TabascoEdit
- Bowman, Mark (April 7, 2015). "From independent ball to bigs: Cunniff living dream". MLB.com. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "MINERS BRANDON CUNNIFF HAS CONTRACT PURCHASED". Frontier League. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Justin Walker. "Miners closer Cunniff signed by Atlanta Braves". The Daily Republican. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "Top prospect Peraza among Braves' roster additions". MLB.com. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (April 6, 2015). "Grilli gets first shot to serve as Braves closer". MLB.com. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Cunningham, Michael (June 26, 2015). "Braves place pitcher Cunniff on DL". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "Friday's Sports Transactions". San Francisco Chronicle. December 18, 2015. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (August 3, 2016). "Kemp on meeting Aaron: 'That was crazy'". MLB.com. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (August 12, 2016). "Braves promote Hursh, Morris to bolster bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- James, Pat (August 30, 2016). "Vizcaino lands on DL with shoulder inflammation". MLB.com. Retrieved September 4, 2016.
- Webeck, Evan (September 3, 2016). "Braves place Blair on DL with left knee sprain". MLB.com. Retrieved September 4, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff; Adams, Steve (January 18, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/18/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 18, 2017.