Boyd H. Anderson High School
This article's lead section may be too long for the length of the article. (February 2018)
|Boyd H. Anderson High School|
3050 NW 41st Street
|Other names||Boyd Anderson or B.A.|
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.40|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
The school is named after the third County Judge of Broward County, Boyd H. Anderson, Sr., who served from 1933 to 1968.
The school mascot is the cobra and the school colors are orange and black.
Boyd Anderson High School is the first public school in Broward County to contain an accredited International Baccalaureate diploma program as a magnet program. It gained this distinction in December 1985. In September 2005, it began offering the "Middle Years" program.
The school also has a Health and Wellness magnet program, headed by Mrs. Ashley Underhill. Additionally, the school offers dual enrollment courses such as ENC101 Composition, Transportation, and Safety.
The school's track and field teams reached three state championships in Track and Field (1995, 1997, 2000), three state championships in Cross Country (1992, 1996, 1998), and ranked #2 nationally in Track and Field (1998), and 18th in Cross Country. This was all achieved under former coach David Bowden. They won the 5A Basketball State Championship in 1994 under coach Mike Benanti.
In addition to successful athletic programs, the school also had success in forensics or speech & debate. In 2010, Fort Lauderdale attorney Jonathan Pollard started a debate team at Boyd Anderson that competed in the Florida Forensic League. In the second year of the debate team, two Boyd Anderson Students, Daniel Nelson and James Fishback, advanced from the South Florida region to the National Forensic League National Championship Tournament. Fishback earned 9th place in the country.
Boyd Anderson also maintains several community service-based organizations including: Key Club (headed by Ms. Alina McCullen; President Kayla Marshall), Students Helping Achieve Philanthropic Excellence, Ladies of Distinction (both headed by Mrs. Yulanda C. Ellis; President Deja Boyd), Brother to Brother (headed by Mr. Basil Farrington; President Mark Laing), Sister to Sister (headed by Ms. LaShondra Taylor; President Veronica Smith ), and Gentlemen of Distinction (headed by First Sergeant Dinkins; (Founded by Eddie Z. Oliver, Jr.) President Shaun Grant.
In November 2009, Boyd Anderson opened the new multimillion-dollar cafeteria to students, faculty, and staff. The cafeteria is equipped with a teacher's lounge area, eight LCD flat screen televisions, and new staff.
As of the 2017–2018 school year, the total student enrollment was 1879. The ethnic makeup of the school was 0.00% White, 90.1% Black, 7.45% Hispanic, 0.85% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1.27% Multiracial, and 0.42% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Ivan Aska (born 1990), basketball player in the Israeli National League
- Anthony Bell, former NFL linebacker, St. Louis Cardinals
- Stephen Bier (aka Madonna Wayne Gacy), keyboardist for Marilyn Manson
- Don Blackmon, former NFL linebacker, New England Patriots
- Shaun Bridgmohan, first Jamaican in the Kentucky Derby
- Josh Bynes, former Auburn University and current Baltimore Ravens linebacker
- David L Cook, Emmy Award-winning Recording Artist.
- Todd Devoe, former NFL wide receiver, Denver Broncos
- Michael Frater, olympic Finalist olympic 2008
- Abdul Hodge, NFL linebacker, Green Bay Packers
- Eddie Jackson, NFL safety for the Chicago Bears
- JoJo Natson, NFL wide receiver and return specialist, Indianapolis Colts New York Jets and Los Angeles Rams
- Mitch Richmond, Hall of Fame NBA player
- Scott Rothstein, pleaded guilty to running a $1.2 billion investment scam
- Asante Samuel, NFL cornerback, Atlanta Falcons
- Benny Sapp, NFL cornerback, Kansas City Chiefs
- Richard Smith, former wide receiver, Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins
- "BOYD H. ANDERSON HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Anderson, Boyd." Broward County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 25, 2018.
- "Zoning Map." Lauderdale Lakes, Florida. Retrieved on September 27, 2018.
- "Future Land Use Map." City of Tamarac. Retrieved on September 27, 2018.
- "Zoning Map." North Lauderdale. Retrieved on September 25, 2018.
- "City Boundaries Archived 2018-09-23 at the Wayback Machine." Oakland Park, Florida. Retrieved on September 23, 2018. The map is on the first page and schools are listed in subsequent pages.
- "Zoning map & officers." Lauderhill, Florida. Retrieved on September 27, 2018. See existing land use map (2007) and future land use map (2006)
- "Broward County Judge history". Archived from the original on 2011-11-25.
- FCAT School Grades - High
- "City of Lauderdale Lakes honors Pollard". www.floridabar.org. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- "2012 NFL National Tournament: Semi-Finalist Rankings". 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- Broward Schools Enrollment Counts
- Furones, David. "Boyd Anderson alum Eddie Jackson drafted by Chicago Bears". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 2020-04-26.