Botswana Communication Regulatory Authority
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Botswana Communication Regulatory Authority (BOCRA) is an independent commission founded under the Communications Regulatory Authority Act, 2012 (CRA Act) on the 1st of April 2013. BOCRA is responsible for regulating all matters related to telecommunications (wire, cellular, satellite and cable), postal services of Botswana.
|Jurisdiction||Government of Botswana|
|Headquarters||Plot 50671 Independence Avenue, Gaborone|
BOCRA was established in 2013 to replace Botswana Telecommunications Authority by the Government of Botswana Parliament when the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was amended and revised to create Communications Regulatory Authority Act of 2012.
Country code top level domainEdit
Mandate and purposeEdit
The following legislation prescribes the powers and functions of BOCRA
- Communications Regulatory Authority Act 2012
- Electronic Records (Evidence) Act No 13 of 2014
- Electronic Communications And Transactions Act of 2014
Further core purposes of BOCRA are:
- Setting industry standards
- Setting tariffs and appropriate guidelines
- Acting as responsible, accountable referee in industry to facilitate
- Investment and universal service
- Facilitating and promoting an environment that ensures protection of end-users
- To ensure compliance with the communication service regulatory framework through the management and monitoring of broadcast content and terms and licence conditions
- To research communications regulation, best practice communications services and industry performance so as to advise government on policy formulation
- Establish communications regulatory policies
- Inform industry and consumers
- To promote and encourage efficient communication services so as to attract investment
- To promote capacity building within communications industry
- To represent Botswana's interests in the international communications arena
- "Legislation | Botswana Communications Regulatory Authority". www.bocra.org.bw. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "Country Code Top Level Domain | Botswana Communications Regulatory Authority". www.bocra.org.bw. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "About | switch to .bw". nic.net.bw. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
|This Botswana-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|