Blood Red Shoes is the fourth album by Brighton-based rock band Blood Red Shoes, released on 3 March 2014 in the UK and Europe through Jazz Life Records. The album was recorded over a 6-month period in Berlin and was entirely self-produced and engineered by the band themselves. The first song from the album, "The Perfect Mess", was released on 1 December 2013, after 10 QR codes were found in different cities by the band's fans.
|Blood Red Shoes|
|Studio album by|
|Released||3 March 2014|
|Genre||Alternative rock, stoner rock|
|Producer||Blood Red Shoes|
|Blood Red Shoes chronology|
|Singles from Blood Red Shoes|
|Drowned In Sound|||
|This Is Fake DIY|||
After releasing the Water EP in January 2013 (the first new Blood Red Shoes material since their third album In Time to Voices), the band moved to Berlin for six months to write and record the new album. Entirely self-produced, it is the first Blood Red Shoes album to not be a co-production with usual collaborator Mike Crossey. The album was also the first release by the band to be released through their own imprint, Jazz Life. In a press release, drummer Steven Ansell stated: "For this album we packed up all our stuff, got in a van and drove to Berlin, where we lived for months in a rented studio space. No producer, no engineer, no A&R people, just us two in a big concrete room in Kreuzberg, jamming and recording our songs whenever we wanted, how we wanted with nobody to answer to except ourselves. It came out as our rawest, heaviest, sexiest and most confident sounding record so far".
Release and promotionEdit
On 20 November 2013, the band announced the release of a new single on 1 December 2013. The release of the single was dependent on the scanning of ten QR codes which were placed in ten different cities for fans of the band to find. QR codes were placed in Lisbon, New York City, Brussels, Moscow, Amsterdam, Jakarta, Mexico City, London, Paris and Berlin. Once all ten QR codes were scanned, "The Perfect Mess" was uploaded to the band's SoundCloud and embedded on their website, which crashed for a short while due to server overload from fans trying to hear the new song.
On 3 December 2013, the band announced details of the new album, self-titled to reflect the band's decision to produce and engineer the album themselves, as well as the release date and details on how to pre-order. The album was released on CD, LP, a deluxe 2-CD set and a deluxe bundle including the 2 CDs, a signed Vinyl LP, a T-shirt and a 12x12 art print. The deluxe CD includes a live album called 14 Photographs featuring 14 recordings from the band's European tour in late 2012.
The first official single was "An Animal", available as a limited edition 7" vinyl, with an exclusive song on the b-side, "Wretch" featuring Eoin Loveless from the band Drenge.
All songs written and composed by Blood Red Shoes.
- "Welcome Home" - 1:50
- "Everything All At Once" - 2:39
- "An Animal" - 3:03
- "Grey Smoke" - 3:24
- "Far Away" - 3:22
- "The Perfect Mess" - 3:29
- "Behind A Wall" - 3:17
- "Stranger" - 3:59
- "Speech Coma" - 2:30
- "Don't Get Caught" - 3:49
- "Cigarettes in the Dark" - 3:28
- "Tightwire" - 2:46
The iTunes edition features the exclusive track "Teufelzunge"
14 Photographs (live album available on deluxe edition)
- "It's Getting Boring By The Sea" -2:51
- "Don't Ask" - 3:05
- "Heartsink" - 3:42
- "Say Something, Say Anything" - 3:23
- "Lost Kids" - 3:34
- "Light It Up" - 3:54
- "This Is Not For You" - 4:15
- "Cold" - 3:43
- "It Is Happening Again" - 3:30
- "You Bring Me Down" - 3:48
- "In Time To Voices" - 3:42
- "Colours Fade" - 6:22
- "I Wish I Was Someone Better" - 3:56
- "Je Me Perds" - 3:52
- "Blood Red Shoes by Blood Red Shoes". Metacritic.
- "NME review". Nme.com. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "musicOMH review". Musicomh.com. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Drowned In Sound review". Drownedin sound.com. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "This Is Fake DIY review". Thisisfakediy.co.uk. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Blood Red Shoes Confirm New Album | News | Clash Magazine". Clashmusic.com. 18 July 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Blood Red Shoes - Timeline Photos". Facebook. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "WeThreeClub on Twitter: "Excited to show you the cover for @bloodredshoes s/t album we've done all the a/w for. It's been a massive pleasure". Twitter.com. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Blood Red Shoes on Twitter: "@bulve_ my sister! lm x"". Twitter.com. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2015.