Bleeding Edge (video game)
Bleeding Edge is a multiplayer online combat video game being developed by British developer Ninja Theory and published by Xbox Game Studios for Xbox One and Microsoft Windows. The game launched on 24 March 2020.
|Publisher(s)||Xbox Game Studios|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||24 March 2020|
A technical alpha test was announced to begin on 27 June 2019, for those who have signed up via the Bleeding Edge website.
In January 2021, Ninja Theory ended development on Bleeding Edge.
There are 13 characters to choose from, most of whom have melee attacks, though some of them do have ranged attacks. All characters are one of three classes: Damage, support, or tank. There are three bars for different abilities that go down when the player uses an ability connected to it. Each ability has its own cooldown period as well.
The development of Bleeding Edge began as a passion project and was built out of inspiration from the original Ninja Theory game Kung Fu Chaos. Creative director Rahni Tucker stated the reasoning behind this game existing was "At home, I play a lot of team multiplayer games, all the way from MOBAs to team shooters. And then I was like: where is this game? A third-person action competitive team multiplayer. It doesn't really exist and it sounds like my dream project". Tucker said they came to that shortly after the development of DmC: Devil May Cry concluded. Tucker pitched the game and at the time nothing came of it but she stated that around halfway for Hellblade, Ninja Theory approached her on the idea and development went into production. The game began with a development team of ten people and by launch had expanded to 25 developers which were a contrast to the average first party Xbox Game Studios large teams with hundreds of developers. Lead artist Aaron McElligo stated that the game began with realistic visuals that Ninja Theory had been known for but quickly realized in a game like this that would not work out.
|PC Gamer (US)||58/100|
- Painter, Lewis. "Overwatch-inspired Bleeding Edge revealed at E3 2019". Tech Advisor. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Ninja Theory shuts down development on Bleeding Edge". Polygon. 28 January 2021.
- "Bleeding Edge dev talks creating a melee-focused multiplayer game". Shacknews. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Tapsell, Chris (12 June 2019). "Bleeding Edge is maybe a misnomer, but Ninja Theory is rightfully bullish". Eurogamer. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Bleeding Edge for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 5 April 2020.
- "Bleeding Edge for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 5 April 2020.
- Devore, Jordan (28 March 2020). "Review: Bleeding Edge". Destructoid. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- Reiner, Andrew (31 March 2020). "Bleeding Edge Review - Exchanging Weak Punches". Game Informer. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- Epstein, Mike (17 April 2020). "Bleeding Edge Review - Underwatch". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- Park, Morgan (30 March 2020). "Bleeding Edge review". PC Gamer. Future US. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- Davenport, James; Roberts, Samuel; Savage, Phil (11 June 2019). "Bleeding Edge is a chaotic, messy hero brawler, but being on Game Pass could help it". PC Gamer. Retrieved 14 June 2019.