Blazing Transfer Student
Blazing Transfer Student (Japanese: 炎の転校生, Hepburn: Honō no Tenkōsei) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kazuhiko Shimamoto. It was serialized in the Shogakukan manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Sunday from 1983 to 1985. Honō no Tenkōsei was adapted into a two-episode original video animation (OVA) anime series in 1991 by Gainax.
|Blazing Transfer Student|
(Honō no Tenkōsei)
|Genre||Comedy, parody, sports|
|Written by||Kazuhiko Shimamoto|
|Imprint||Shōnen Sunday Comics|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||1983 – 1985|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Katsuhiko Nishijima|
|Produced by||Shouji Murahama|
|Written by||Toshio Okada|
|Released||May 21, 1991|
|Honō no Tenkōsei: Reborn / Blazing Transfer Students|
|Directed by||Toshio Lee|
|Written by||Yuko Kawabe|
|Music by||Toshihiko Sahashi|
|Original run||November 10, 2017|
In this series, Takizawa Noboru transfers to a school where all disputes are settled through fighting. He quickly runs afoul of the school bully, Ibuki Saburo, who has a boxing match with "God's Hall Monitor", Jounouchi Kouichi, to determine who will date the lovely Yukari. Takizawa is enraptured with Yukari, and decides to intervene in the fight which Ibuki won by bending the rules. Takizawa loses the fight in the first OVA to Ibuki's deadly finishing punch, but in the second OVA Takizawa develops his own finishing punch and eventually wins the day.
- Noboru Takizawa (滝沢 昇, Takizawa Noboru)
- Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki
- Yukari Takamura (高村 友花里, Takamura Yukari)
- Voiced by: Noriko Hidaka
- Saburō Ibuki (伊吹 三郎, Ibuki Saburō)
- Voiced by: Tesshō Genda
- Kōichi Jōnouchi (城之内 考一, Jōnouchi Kōichi)
- Voiced by: Shō Hayami
- Chiaki Takano (高野 千明, Takano Chiaki)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (credited as Schoolboy A)
- Jun Namekata (行方 純, Namekata Jun)
- Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki (credited as Schoolboy C)
Honō no Tenkōsei is written and illustrated by Kazuhiko Shimamoto. The series was serialized in the Shogakukan magazine Weekly Shōnen Sunday from 1983 to 1985. The individual chapters were collected in twelve tankōbon volumes, released from February 18, 1984 to January 18, 1986.
Honō no Tenkōsei was adapted into a two-episode original video animation (OVA) anime produced by Gainax. The anime reunites director Katsuhiko Nishijima and character designer Yuji Moriyama of the original Project A-ko and features storyboards by Sumio Watanabe. The OVA features an opening vocal theme written by Shimamoto Kazuhiko, arranged by Kohei Tanaka, and performed by Toshihiko Seki. The ending theme, Yumemiru Ki Mo Chi Dreaming Heart (夢みるキ・モ・チ 〜Dreaming Heart〜), was composed and arranged by Tanaka and performed by Noriko Hidaka. The Honō no Tenkōsei OVA parodies anime of the 1970s, particularly Tomorrow's Joe, and is complete with intentionally jerky animation, dirty-looking cels, thick black lines, and retro character designs, much like Shimamoto's drawing style.
A Netflix original live-action series called Blazing Transfer Students or Honō no Tenkōsei REBORN was released as a sequel set years after the original story. The story revolves around seven students all named Kakeru who transfer into the school. It was released on November 10, 2017 and was directed by Toshio Lee.
As of March 2017, the manga had over 1.6 million copies in circulation.
Anime News Network's Justin Sevakis, commenting on the anime, said that "while the animation has that slightly soft shot-on-film look, the heightened contrast and angular designs that were meant to evoke the past have instead kept it looking modern."
- Sevakis, Justin (April 16, 2013). "Pile of Shame - Blazing Transfer Student". Anime News Network. Retrieved August 6, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 炎の転校生 1 [Blazing Transfer Student 1] (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on February 3, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 炎の転校生 12 [Blazing Transfer Student 12] (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on January 2, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Beveridge, Chris (February 18, 2014). "Japanese 'Honoo no Tenkousei' OVA Blu-ray Anime Packaging Revealed". The Fandom Post. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy" 炎の転校生 BLU-RAY SPECIAL【完全初回限定生産商品】. PonyCanyon.co.jp (in Japanese). Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 炎の転校生 BLU-RAY SPECIAL【完全初回限定生産商品】. Oricon Style (in Japanese). Retrieved June 5, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "'Blazing Transfer Students' Is Wonderfully Weird As You Expect A Live-Action Anime To Be". Decider. Newscorp. 14 November 2017. Retrieved 8 November 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Blazing Transfer Student Manga Gets Live-Action Show on Netflix Worldwide". Anime News Network. March 26, 2017. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- ジャニーズＷＥＳＴ海外デビュー 「炎の転校生」初実写化のオリジナルネットドラマ. daily.co.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved March 26, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)