Blaine High School (Minnesota)
|Anoka High School|
12555 University Avenue Northeast
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Anoka-Hennepin School District 11|
|Enrollment||2,972 (as of 2016-17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.47:1|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Columbia Blue and White|
As of the 2018-19 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,972 students and 132.25 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 22.47:1. There were 533 students (17.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 253 (8.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Anoka High School won the Minnesota high school boys hockey class AA championship in 2000, led by future NHL players Matt Hendricks and Brandon Bochenski. The football team has appeared in the state tournament 14 times, most notably in 2008 where the team defeated heavily favored Eden Prairie, which was ranked third nationally among all high schools, en route to an appearance in the state championship game. Blaine has only won one state football championship however, which came in 1988. The Girls Nordic Skiing Team won the 1979 state championship.
- Nick Bjugstad – 2010 Mr. Hockey winner. Professional ice hockey player for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Brandon Bochenski – Former professional ice hockey player in the NHL and KHL.
- Jonny Brodzinski – Professional ice hockey player for the Los Angeles Kings.
- Trevor Frischmon – Former professional ice hockey player in the NHL.
- Matt Hendricks – Professional ice hockey player for the Winnipeg Jets
- Blaine Hogan – actor
- Dan Johnson – Former MLB first baseman.
- Patrick O'Bryant – Professional basketball player. Selected 9th overall in 2006 NBA Draft by the Golden State Warriors.
- Riley Tufte – 2016 Mr. Hockey winner. Selected 25th overall in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Dallas Stars. Currently playing for the University of Minnesota-Duluth.
- School data for Blaine High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed June 10, 2019
- College in the Schools - Participating Schools Archived 2006-02-11 at the Wayback Machine
- State Boys’ Hockey Tournament Winners — 1945-2006, p. 177, accessed April 14, 2007.
- State Champions | History | More | MN Football Hub
- Blaine Football, MaxPreps. Accessed September 7, 2017.
- Austreng, Sue. "Hometown hockey stars skate with kids at Fogerty", ABC Newspapers, August 11, 2016. Accessed September 7, 2017. "Helping one of the littlest mites during an Aug. 4 drill, professional hockey player and 2010 graduate of Blaine High School Nick Bjugstad 'gives back to the kids' during a hockey camp he offered at Fogerty Arena.... The 2010 graduate was named Mr. Hockey his senior year and helped bring three consecutive state championships to the Bengals before the Florida Panthers made Bjugstad an NHL player."
- Olson, Jason. "Bochenski finds hockey success in Kazakhstan", ABC Newspapers, December 10, 2014. Accessed September 7, 2017. "Brandon Bochenski was ready to try something new with his hockey career.A member of Blaine’s 2000 state championship hockey team, he was bouncing between the National Hockey League and minor league affiliates before a chance to move overseas."
- Brioschi, Jeff. "Parents React to Former Blaine Star Jonny Brodzinski Making NHL Debut", KSTP-TV, March 27, 2017. Accessed September 7, 2017. "Former Blaine high school star Jonny Brodzinski made his NHL debut in the Kings' 3-0 loss to the New York Rangers Saturday night at Staples Center."
- Staff. "", Duluth Budgeteer News, August 23, 2002. Accessed September 7, 2017. "The 'Hounds were hardened by their tough schedule against elite teams, but eight sophomores aren't a physical match for 11 seniors, especially when 10 of the Bengals also were stars on Blaine's championship football team. Matt Hendricks was the quarterback, Trevor Frischmon was an all-state running back, Brandon Bochenski was a top receiver, and their physical toughness and maturity may have showed."
- Olson, Jason. "Blaine’s Matt Hendricks: Of feeling capital with the Washington Capitals" Archived 2017-09-08 at the Wayback Machine, SportsPrepZone, January 27, 2011. Accessed September 7, 2017. "At the traditional midway point of the National Hockey League season, former multi-sport Blaine High School athlete and present Washington Capitals forward Matt Hendricks took time to reflect on what had been a hectic and mind-blurring previous six months."
- Sid Hartman: Brewster has gone all-out to drum up interest in U Archived 2007-04-06 at the Wayback Machine, Star Tribune, March 31, 2007, accessed April 14, 2007. "Dan Johnson, the Oakland Athletics first baseman and Blaine High School alum, will miss up to three months after suffering an injured hip in spring training."
- Patrick O'Bryant, Bradley Braves men's basketball. Accessed September 7, 2017. "High School: Blaine H.S."
- Graff, Chad. "NHL draft: Blaine’s Riley Tufte positioned to be first-rounder", St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 23, 2016. Accessed September 7, 2017. "Riley Tufte watched as some of the top hockey players the state has produced left Minnesota for junior hockey and the allure of more training and more games.For a while last summer, he pondered whether a similar move might make sense for him, coming off a junior season at Blaine High School in which he produced 51 points in 24 games for the Bengals."