Birch Wathen Lenox School
The Birch Wathen Lenox School is a New York City college preparatory K-12 school on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. BWL comprises approximately 500 students from all around New York City. The Birch Wathen Lenox School is one of 322 independent schools located in the city.
|Birch Wathen Lenox School|
210 East 77th Street
Manhattan, New York City,
|Former names||Birch Wathen School (1921)|
Lenox School (1916)
|Motto||Integrity, Civility, Loyalty|
|Established||1991 (as Birch Wathen Lenox School)|
|Head of school||Frank J. Carnabuci III|
175 (grades 9–12)
|Campus size||Single Building|
|Color(s)||Green, White, and Gold|
|Athletics||All major high school varsity sports|
Birch Wathen Lenox was created in 1991 through the merger of The Birch Wathen School (founded in 1921 by Louise Birch and Edith Wathen), and The Lenox School (founded in 1916 by Jessica Garretson Finch).
The Lenox School had been an all-girls school until 1974, when it went co-educational.jr0gir r
Between 1962 and 1989, Birch Wathen was located in the Herbert N. Straus House, an ornate French-style building at 9 East 71st Street across from the Frick Collection. Built in 1933 by architect Horace Trumbauer, it was purchased as a private residence in 1989 by Les Wexner who later sold it to financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Birch Wathen Lenox fields teams in soccer, volleyball, swimming, basketball, baseball, softball, cross country, track and field, golf, tennis, and hockey.
Athletic teams play under the auspices of the Independent Schools Athletic League (New York) or the Girls Independent School Athletic League, which are leagues in the NYSAISAA (New York State Association of Independent Schools Athletic Association).
- Alfred A Knopf, Jr., publisher
- Barbara Walters, journalist, writer, and media personality
- Joel Crothers (BW '58), actor
- Judith Krantz (BW '44), novelist
- Robert Gottlieb, president of Knopf Publishing.
- Murray Rothbard (BW '42), Founder of anarcho-capitalism
- Edwin Schlossberg, designer 
- Mary Stolz (BW '36), novelist
- The Birch Wathen Lenox School – School Overview. Peterson's. March 12, 2007.
- "New York State Association of Independent Schools: Birch Wathen Lenox School". Nysais.org. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Claridge, Laura (2016). The lady with the Borzoi : Blanche Knopf, literary tastemaker extraordinaire (First ed.). New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. p. 68. ISBN 9780374114251. OCLC 908176194.
- "Can Barbara Walters's Career Survive Rosie and Donald's War?- New York Magazine". Nymag.com. March 5, 2007. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- "And Now Back To You, Barbara". New York Times. March 25, 1990. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Ruark, Liz (February 13, 2001). "Person of the Week: Judith Krantz Archived September 1, 2006, at the Wayback Machine". Wellesley College.
- "Caroline Bouvier Kennedy To Wed Edwin Schlossberg". New York Times. March 2, 1986. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Mary Stolz Biographical Sketch Archived July 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.