Bionix was a late night action program block that was broadcast on Friday nights on the Canadian television channel YTV. It was launched in September 2004 and was removed from the channel in February 2010.
|Launched||September 10, 2004|
|Closed||February 7, 2010|
|Country of origin||Canada|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Format||Anime and action|
|Voices of||Phil McCordic|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bionix broke away from YTV's "Keep It Weird" style and had a more technological feel to it in an effort to appeal to a teenage audience.
Most of the programming consisted of anime. However, other programs were often included in order to ensure the Canadian content regulations were met. These programs include reruns of both older Mainframe Entertainment TV series (such as Dark Oracle) and live action YTV productions.
On July 19, 2008, Bionix was moved from Fridays to its new timeslot on Saturdays, from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. On May 16, 2009, the block was pushed further back to midnight, and the viewer advisory bumps were switched from the Bionix-themed bumps to YTV's version.
In September 2009, Bionix once again became a two-hour block, now airing at midnight and featuring two episodes of both Naruto and Bleach. The block's promos and bumps were removed for its final months of broadcast. In February 2010, YTV's website removed both the Bionix page and the Bionix on Demand page, leading to speculation that the block would soon be canceled. YTV removed the Bionix block that same month without public notice, with the final episodes being the back-to-back reruns of Bleach at 1:00 a.m. EST on February 7, 2010.
The Bionix forums remained as part of YTV's website, until the boards were completely dismantled and removed in March 2014.
This is a list of series and movies that have aired on Bionix, with their Canadian TV ratings.
- .hack//Sign (14+)
- Bleach (14+)
- Blue Dragon (C8)
- Case Closed (PG)
- Death Note (14+)
- Eureka Seven (14+)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (14+)
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (14+)
- Inuyasha (14+) (PG)
- MÄR (C8)
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (14+)
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (14+)
- Naruto (PG)
- Witch Hunter Robin (14+)
- Zatch Bell! (C8)
Live action seriesEdit
- Inuyasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time (14+) (aired March 25, 2005 and August 30, 2008)
- Inuyasha the Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the looking Glass (14+) (aired August 26, 2005)
- Ultimate Avengers: The Movie (G) (aired September 1, 2006 and April 25, 2008)
- Inuyasha the Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler (14+) (aired December 29, 2006)
- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa (14+) (aired June 22, 2007 and October 19, 2007)
- Inuyasha the Movie 4: Fire on the Mystic Island (14+) (aired June 22, 2007 and August 17, 2007)
- Princess Mononoke (14+) (aired October 26, 2007)
- Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (PG) (aired November 16, 2007 and June 20, 2008)
- Corus Entertainment - Press_Corporate
- "YTV PROGRAMMING UPDATE – SEPTEMBER 2004". Corus Entertainment. 2004-09-01. Archived from the original on 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Bandai And YTV Bring Anime Programming to Canada" (Press release). Bandai Entertainment, YTV. 2004-09-10. Retrieved 2008-07-20.