Bing Liu (scientist)
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section, please remove this template.
If you are the editor who added this template and you are actively editing, please be sure to replace this template with
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (May 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bing Liu (1982 – May 2, 2020) was a Chinese coronavirus researcher living and researching in the United States. He was a Research Assistant Professor of Computational & Systems Biology Department at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He was 37 years old at the time of his death, in which he was shot dead in his home. The case received American and Chinese media coverage.
Liu was found dead at his home on May 2, 2020. His work on coronaviruses led to speculation that his murder was related to his work, but Pittsburgh Police said that he was shot as a result of a murder-suicide. The gunman was 46-year-old software engineer Hao Gu. The police said that the murder was the result of a dispute over an intimate partner and that after murdering Bing Liu the gunman had gone back to his car and shot himself.
- B Liu. Computational Modeling of Biological Pathways: Probabilistic Approximation and Analysis Techniques. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, ISBN 3847372114, Jan 2012. (176 pages)
- P Liò and P Zuliani (Eds.) Automated Reasoning for Systems Biology and Medicine. Chapter 3. Springer, ISBN 3030172961, Jun 2019. (474 pages)
- W Sun, V Tyurin, G Mao, I Shrivastava, B Liu, Y Zhai, S Korolev, A Abramov, P Angelova, I Miller, O Beharier, H Dar, O Kapralov, T Hastings, J Greenamyre, C Chu, I Bahar, Y Sadovsky, H Bayır, Y Tyurina, R He, V Kagan iPLA2G6 Protects Cells against Ferroptosis by Hydrolyzing the Lipid Signal of Death, 15-HpETE-PE: Relevance to Parkinson Disease Pathogenesis, Nature Neuroscience, under review (2020).PDF *
- B Liu. A Model Checking-based Analysis Framework for Systems Biology Models, The 57th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC), San Francisco, US (2020). IEEE, pp.1-6PDF *
- Q Shi, F Pei, G Silverman, S Pak, D Perlmutter, B Liu, I Bahar. Mechanisms of Action of Autophagy Modulators Dissected by Quantitative Systems Pharmacology Analysis, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21(8). 2855 (2020). doi: 10.3390/ijms21082855PDF *
- S Thermozier, W Hou, X Zhang, D Shields, R Fisher, H Bayir, V Kagam, J Yu, B Liu, I Bahar, M W Epperly, P Wipf, H Wang, and J S Greenberger. Anti-Ferroptosis Drug Enhances Total Body Irradiation Mitigation by Drugs that Block Apoptosis and Necroptosis, Radiation Research, [Epub ahead of print] (2020). doi: 10.1667/RR15486.1PDF *
- O Kapralov, Q Yang, H Dar, Y Tyurina, T Anthonymuthu, R Kim, C St. Croix, K Mikulska-Ruminska, B Liu, I Shrivastava, V Tyurin, H-C Ting, Y Wu, Y Gao, R Domingues, D Stoyanovsky, R Mallampalli, I Bahar, D Gabrilovich, H Bayir, and V Kagan Redox Lipid Reprogramming Commands Susceptibility of Macrophages and Microglia to Ferroptotic Death, Nature Chemical Biology, 16:2780-290 (2020). doi: 10.1038/s41589-019-0462-8PDF *
- S Thermozier, X Zhang, W Hou, R Fisher, M W Epperly, B Liu, I Bahar, S Markovina, C Luke, G Silverman, and J S Greenberger. Radioresistance of Serpinb3a-/- Mice and Derived Hematopoietic and Marrow Stromal Cell Lines, Radiation Research, 192(3):267-281 (2019). doi: 10.1667/RR15379.1.PDF *
- F Pei, H Li, B Liu, I Bahar. Quantitative Systems Pharmacological Analysis of Drugs of Abuse Reveals the Pleiotropy of Their Targets and the Effector Role of mTORC1, Frontiers in Pharmacology, 10:191 (2019). doi: 10.3389/fphar.2019.00191 PDF *
- B Liu, B Gyori, P S Thiagarajan. Statistical Model Checking based Analysis of Biological Networks Automated Reasoning for Systems Biology and Medicine, 63-92 (2019). doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-17297-8_3PDF *
- J Steinman, M Epperly, Wen Hou, J Willis, H Wang, R Fisher, B Liu, I Bahar, T McCaw, V Kagan, H Bayir, J Yu, P Wipf, S Li, M S Huq, J S Greenberger. Improved Total Body Irradiation Survival by Delivery of Two Radiation Mitigators that Target Distinct Cell Death Pathways, Radiation Research, 189(1):68-83 (2018). doi: 10.1667/RR14787.1PDF *
- J S Greenberger, B Liu, I Bahar, H Bayir, and V Kagan. Radiation Disease: Cytokines and the Stages of Apoptosis, Necroptosis, Ferroptosis, Parthanatos, Lysosomal Necrosis, Pyroptosis, and Overlapping Networks, Radiation Biology Methods, Chapter XII (2018).PDF *
- J S Greenberger, B Liu, V Kagan, H Bayir, and I Bahar.Radiation Biologic Pathways Intersection and Integration with Other Pathways, Radiation Biology Methods, Chapter XIII (2018).PDF *
- B Liu, Z Oltvai, H Bayir, G Silverman, S Pak, D Perlmutter, I Bahar. Quantitative Assessment of Cell Fate Decision between Autophagy and Apoptosis, Nature Scientific Reports, 7:17605 (2017).PDF *
- V E Kagan, G Mao, F Qu, J P F Angeli, S Doll, C S Croix, H Dar, B Liu, V A Tyurin, V B Ritov, O A Kapralov, A A Amoscato, J Jiang, T Anthonymuthu, D Mohammadyani, Q Yang, J Klein-Seetharaman, S Watkins, I Bahar, J Greenberger, R Mallampalli, B R Stockwell, Y Y Tyurina, M Conrad, H Bayir. Oxidized Arachidonic and Adrenic PEs Navigate Cells to Ferroptosis, Nature Chemical Biology, 13:81-90 (2017). doi:10.1038/nchembio.2238.PDF *
- B Liu, J R Faeder. Parameter Estimation of Rule-based Models Using Statistical Model Checking, IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), Shenzhen, China (2016). IEEE, pp. 1458-1464.PDF *
- Q Wang, N Miskov-Zivanov, B Liu, J R Faeder, M Lotze, E M Clarke. Formal Modeling and Analysis of Pancreatic Cancer Microenvironment, Computational Methods in Systems Biology (CMSB), Cambridge, UK (2016). Springer, LNCS:9859, pp. 289-305.PDF *
- B Liu, Q Liu, S Palaniappan, L Yang, I Bahar, P S Thiagarajan, J L Ding. Innate Immune Memory and Homeostasis May Be Conferred Through crosstalk between TLR3 and TLR7 Pathways, Science Signaling, 9(436) ra70 (2016).PDF *
- B Gyori, B Liu, S Paul, R Ramanathan, and P S Thiagarajan. Approximate Probabilistic Verification of Hybrid Systems. Hybrid Systems Biology (HSB), Madrid, Spain (2015). Springer, LNCS:9271, pp. 96-116.PDF *
- C Kaya, B Liu, J R Faeder, I Bahar. Unified Model of Synaptic Transmission. Biophysical Journal, 108(2) 155a (2015).PDF *
- G F Cooper, I Bahar, M J Becich, P V Benos, J Berg, J U Espino, C Glymour, R C Jacobson, M Kienholz, A V Lee, X Lu, R Scheines, Center for Causal Discovery team. The center for causal discovery of biomedical knowledge from big data Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 22(6):1132-1136 (2015).PDF *
- B Liu, S Kong, S Gao, P Zuliani and E M Clarke. Towards Personalized Cancer Therapy Using Delta-Reachability Analysis. Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control (HSCC), Seattle, USA (2015). ACM, pp. 227-232.PDF *
- B Liu, D Bhatt, Z N Oltvai, J S Greenberger, I Bahar. Significance of p53 Dynamics in Regulating Apoptosis in Response to Ionizing Radiation, and Polypharmacological Strategies. Nature Scientific Reports, 4:6245 (2014).PDF *
- B Liu, S Kong, S Gao, P Zuliani and E M Clarke. Parameter Synthesis for Cardiac Cell Hybrid Models Using Delta-Decisions. Computational Methods in Systems Biology (CMSB), Manchester, UK (2014). Springer, LNCS:8859, pp. 99-113.PDF *
- H Zhou, S Gao, N N Nguyen, M Fan, J Jin, B Liu, L Zhao, G Xiong, M Tan, S Li, L Wong. Stringent Homology-based Prediction of H. sapiens-M. tuberculosis H37Rv Protein-Protein Interactions. Biology Direct, 9(5):1-52 (2014). Highly Accessed.PDF *
- A Hagiescu, B Liu, R. Ramanathan, S K Palaniappan, Z Cui, B Chattopadhyay, W F Wong, P S Thiagarajan. GPU Code Generation for ODE-Based Applications with Phased Shared-data Access Patterns. ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization, 10(4):551-5519 (2013).PDF *
- S Palaniappan, B Gyori, B Liu, D Hsu, P S Thiagarajan and E M Clarke. Statistical Model Checking Based Calibration and Analysis of Bio-pathway Models. Computational Methods in Systems Biology (CMSB), Klosterneuburg, Austria (2013). Springer, LNCS:8130, pp 120-134.PDF *
- B Liu, A Hagiescu, S K Palaniappan, B Chattopadhyay, Z Cui, W F Wong, P S Thiagarajan. Approximate Probabilistic Analysis of Biopathway Dynamics. Bioinformatics, 28(11):1508-1516 (2012).PDF *
- S K Palaniappan, S Akshay, B Liu, B Genest, P S Thiagarajan. A Hybrid Factored Frontier Algorithm for Dynamic Bayesian Networks with a Biopathways Application. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 9(5):1352-1365 (2012).PDF *
- B Liu, P S Thiagarajan. Modeling and Analysis of Biopathways Dynamics. Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 10(4):1231001 (2012)
- B Liu, J Zhang, P Y Tan, D Hsu, A M Blom, B Leong, S Sethi, B Ho, J L Ding, P S Thiagarajan. A Computational and Experimental Study of the Regulatory Mechanisms of the Complement System. PLoS Computational Biology, 7(1):e1001059 (2011).
- B Liu, D Hsu, P S Thiagarajan. Probabilistic Approximations of ODEs based Bio-Pathway Dynamics. Theoretical Computer Science, 412(21):2188-2206 (2011).PDF *
- B Liu, P S Thiagarajan, D Hsu. Probabilistic Approximations of Signaling Pathway Dynamics. Computational Methods in Systems Biology (CMSB) , Bologna, Italy (2009). Springer, LNCS:5688, pp. 251-265.
- T Zhu, P Korshunov, B Liu, W T Ooi. Plasma: A Scripting Language for Processing Media Streams. ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), San Jose, US (2007). Proceedings of SPIE:6504, pp. 65040Q.
- Feng, Zhaoyin (7 May 2020). "Coronavirus: Professor Bing Liu's murder fuels wild theories". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2020.
- Bing Liu, personal site / Research Assistant Professor, Computational & Systems Biology Department, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Bing Liu, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, Ph.D. in Computational Systems Biology, National U of Singapore
|This biographical article about a Chinese scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|