This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alden Biesen Castle
|• Mayor||Frieda Brepoels (N-VA)|
|• Governing party/ies||N-VA, PRO-BILZEN, Open VLD|
|• Total||75.90 km2 (29.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
3740, 3742, 3746
On January 1, 2006, Bilzen had a total population of 30,057. The total area is 75.90 km² which gives a population density of 396 inhabitants per km².
Bilzen consists of the city of Bilzen and the following villages: Beverst, Eigenbilzen, Grote-Spouwen, Hees, Hoelbeek, Kleine-Spouwen, Martenslinde, Mopertingen, Munsterbilzen, Rijkhoven, Rosmeer, and Waltwilder. It was in 1977 that they all became part of the municipality Bilzen because of the fusion of municipalities.
Cities in Bilzen's neighbourhood are, to its north, Genk, to its east, Maastricht (Netherlands), to its south Tongeren and to its north-west Diepenbeek, all within a distance of some 10 to 15 kilometers.
From 1965 to 1981 Bilzen hosted Jazz Bilzen, a jazz and rock festival that lasted several days. In its time Jazz Bilzen was the most important Belgian festival. Artists that performed there were, among many others, Humble Pie, The Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Humble Pie, The Kinks, The Troggs, Procol Harum, Golden Earring, Rod Stewart, Status Quo, Lou Reed, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Cure, Toots Thielemans, Keith Jarrett and John McLaughlin. From the 1980s onwards the festival was superseded by Torhout-Werchter, that has now become Rock Werchter.
Places of interestEdit
Born in BilzenEdit
- Bert Appermont (born 1973), composer, conductor
- Elke Clijsters (born 1985), tennis player and younger sister of Kim Clijsters.
- Kim Clijsters (born 1983), tennis player.
- Valérie Courtois (born 1990), volleyball player
- Lisa del Bo (born 1961), singer
- Camille Huysmans (1871–1968), politician, Prime Minister (August 1946 – 1947); mayor of Antwerp (1933–1946).
- Jelle Vossen (born 1989), football player
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- fr:Comté de Looz