Longer playing for St Kilda in June 2017
|Full name||Billy Longer|
|Date of birth||12 May 1993|
|Original team(s)||Northern Knights (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 8, 2011 National Draft, Brisbane Lions|
|Height||201 cm (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||98 kg (216 lb)|
|Current club||St Kilda|
|2012–2013||Brisbane Lions||9 (0)|
|2014–2019||St Kilda||57 (4)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2019.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Longer was recruited with pick 8 in the 2011 national draft by the Brisbane Lions from the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup under 18s where he played as a ruck. Longer made his debut for Brisbane in round 3 of the 2012 AFL season, against Fremantle.
After two years and nine senior games with Brisbane, Longer announced that he wanted to return to Melbourne to live near family and friends and sought a trade. There was considerable interest from Melbourne-based clubs Hawthorn and St Kilda. Hawthorn dropped their interest after St Kilda traded their ruckman, Ben McEvoy, for draft picks. Seeing the ruck opening, Longer agreed to be traded to St Kilda. Longer played his first game for St Kilda in round 4 of the 2014 AFL season against the Adelaide Football Club.
After playing 34 out of 44 games in 2014 and 2015, Longer lost his place and form and failed to play a senior game in 2016. He returned to senior football in 2017 and set a new St Kilda club record for hit outs in the 2017 AFL season of 656 at an average of 38.59 from 17 games.
Longer retired at the end of the 2019 season after experiencing concussion issues during the year.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2017 season
|Season||Team||No.||Games||Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Stannard, Damien (27 March 2012). "Teen ruckman Billy Longer on verge of AFL debut for Brisbane Lions at MCG". Courier Mail. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Saints land want-away Lions ruckman Longer
- "Billy Longer stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Billy Longer.|
- Billy Longer's profile on the official website of the St Kilda Football Club
- Billy Longer's playing statistics from AFL Tables