Billy Lewis (footballer, born 1864)
|Full name||William Lewis|
|Date of birth||1864|
|Place of birth||Bangor, Wales|
|Date of death||1935 (aged 70–71)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
William Lewis was described by one source as, 'a speedy forward and very clever – does not use sufficient judgement'. William Lewis made his Club and League debut on 8 September 1888, playing at centre–forward, at Anfield, the then home of Everton. The home team defeated the visitors Accrington 2–1. William Lewis scored his debut Club and League goal (his only League goal for Everton and his only League goal in the top–flight) on 29 September 1888, playing as a winger, at Pike's Lane, the then home of Bolton Wanderers. Everton were defeated by the home team 6–2, William Lewis scoring the first of Everton' two goals in the match. William Lewis appeared in three of the 22 League games played by Everton in season 1888–89 and scored one League goal. After the heavy defeat at Bolton Lewis did not play for Everton again and did not play top–flight football again. When Lewis played for Manchester City the latter were in Division Two.
Lewis gained 13 Welsh caps whilst with Chester, which remained a club record for more than 100 years. His record was broken when Angus Eve was capped 35 times for Trinidad and Tobago, although for 24 of these caps he was on loan away from Chester, and thus Lewis could still be argued to be the record holder.
- Joyce, Michael (2004). Football League Players' Records 1888 to 1939. Soccerdata. p. 156. ISBN 1-899468-67-6.
- "Everton player stats". Archived from the original on 26 January 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- Matthews, Tony (2004). Who's Who of Everton. Mainstream Publishing. p. 155. ISBN 1-84018-819-7.
- Metcalf, Mark (2013). The Origins of the Football League. Amberley. pp. 45–46. ISBN 978-1-4456-1881-4.
- "English National Football Archive". Retrieved 26 January 2018. (registration & fee required)
- Manchester City player statistics at mcfcstats.co.uk
- Chester City Club Records Archived 3 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine