William David "Bill" Perez (born September 10, 1947) is an American businessman who was the chief executive officer of Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company. He had earlier served in a similar capacity at Nike, Inc. Prior to that, Perez had risen to become the chief executive officer at S. C. Johnson & Son.
|Education||Cornell University (BA)|
Thunderbird School of Global Management (MBA)
William David Perez was born on September 10, 1947 in Akron, Ohio. He went to high school at Western Reserve Academy, a private coeducational boarding school in Hudson, Ohio, before attending Cornell University, where he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. In addition, Perez has a graduate degree from the Thunderbird School of Global Management.
Perez worked at S. C. Johnson from 1970 to 2004. He spent eight years as president and CEO of S. C. Johnson & Son. On December 28, 2004, Perez succeeded Phil Knight as CEO of Nike, Inc and served from December 2004 until his announcement on January 23, 2006 that he was resigning from Nike due to disagreements with Knight over how to run the company. Perez received $8 million in severance pay.
On October 3, 2006, Perez succeeded William Wrigley Jr. II as CEO of Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, the world's largest chewing-gum manufacturer. He was the first person outside the Wrigley family to head the century-old company. He also joined Wrigley's board of directors. On January 11, 2010, Perez joined Greenhill & Co. as a senior advisor.
Positions held on boards of directorsEdit
- Holmes, Stanley (2004-11-19). "Nike: Can Perez Fill Knight's Shoes?". BusinessWeek. McGraw-Hill. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Holmes, Stanley (2006-01-24). "Nike's CEO Gets the Boot". BusinessWeek. McGraw-Hill. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Carpenter, Dave (2006-10-23). "Wrigley Hires Perez to Serve As Its CEO". Associated Press. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "GREENHILL : William D. Perez To Join Greenhill As A Senior Advisor" (PDF). 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2010-11-10.
- Inc, Johnson Outdoors (2018-12-05). "Johnson Outdoors Names William D. Perez to Board of Directors". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Forbes https://people.forbes.com/profile/william-d-perez/46498. Missing or empty
- S.C. Johnson CEO Perez steps down to lead Nike The Business Journal.
- Nike: Can Perez Fill Knight's Shoes? Businessweek.
- Inside the Coup at Nike Businessweek.
- Why Wrigley and Perez Need Each Other Businessweek.
- Curiously Strong Teamwork Businessweek.
- For Wrigley, CEO Perez Is a Life Saver CNBC Mad Money.
- Kings of the Mountain Hispanicbusiness.com
- Mars shows door to Wrigley CEO Chicago Tribune.
- The Curious Case of Bill Perez Spencer Stuart Case Study.